Should I buy a refurb Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PhaserFuzz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I'm looking at getting this one... http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC914LL/B/refurbished-thunderbolt-display-27-inch

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina, so I don't believe I even have Thunderbolt 2. Also how important is having USB 3.0 ports? I could always just plug into my rMBP if need be. Should I just go ahead and order this one? $200 off seems like a decent deal, but I'm kind of afraid of getting a refurb since I've read that some of these displays have had issues.

Also, besides Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0, what updates could there be on the next one? I don't really care about a thinner form factor.

I usually always wait for the newest model, but in this case.. I don't think it will matter too much? Thanks for any suggestions haha.

2. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

You won't regret getting a TB display, especially not a refurb one. You won't be able to tell the difference. If there's anything wrong with it - it comes with 12 months warranty...

I'm expecting a 4k TB2 display from apple though later this year. My guess would be at WWDC. Given they just added propper software support in 10.9.3 beta...

3. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured as much, but my first gen retina macbook pro won't support that resolution correct? I've read that TB1 isn't powerful enough. If that's the case, I'm thinking I should just get the current one?

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You need displayport 1.2 protocol for 4k screen rez I believe which only the most recent macs with thunderbolt 2.0 support; anyway, 4k is probably a bit much for your generation of laptop to drive even if it could handle such a rez.

Current thunderbolt display is VERY shiny and reflective - you should be aware/beware of this. It's almost impossible not to get reflections in dark sections of the screen, so if your work depends on as-accurate screen image representation as possible this might not be the right screen for you.

That said, it is very convenient though, it's got "everything" built right in, all but the kitchen sink (and USB3, sadly) basically. The speakers are quite okay for casual use (you won't find better in a monitor, for sure), and in addition to the monitor screen you also have a mic, camera and I/O all in one plug. Very convenient, and OSX auto-switches between screen and built-in devices depending on wether your TBD is plugged in or not, unless you choose to always use built-in sound/video/IO.