Should I buy a surge protector for my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jul 13, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Does the included 60W MagSafe Power Adapter provide some sort of surge protection?

If not, then, might it be a good idea to buy surge protection?
    If so I'm considering getting a Belkin Mini Surge Protector. Would that be fine for my laptop?

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Consider going one step further and get a battery backup. That will protect your computer from brownouts and blackouts as well as surges :)

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean?

I need something that's portable though. Don't see that many options. Wouldn't the laptop's battery already provide backup?

4. brandon.8602 macrumors member

The backup battery wouldn't need to be portable as you probably wouldn't have to worry about many blackouts on the go.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have one of those large, bulky, heavy battery backups at home.
    So I'm just looking for a surge protector. Is that Belkin Mini Surge Protector the best one out there? (for laptops...MBP)

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I would definitely buy a surge protector as it is just another way to protect your investment. Radio shack also has a small surge protector with their own brand in which I am using with no problems.

7. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

yes on surge protector and make sure your outlets are grounded. none of the outlets in my room were grounded, i found this out today via "not grounded" light on my recently purchased surge protecter. so i ran extension cord to my room for my computer/lcd hookups :(:)

8. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Surge Protector yes. UPS you dont need with a laptop. I have done alot of research on this. The battery on the laptop acts as a UPS if you have a brownout. so no point.