Should I buy a thumb drive? (read for details)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a group of files that I don't want to lose, basically. This totals about 150 MB.

I want to keep them separate from my main computer harddrive, so I'd never worry about them when I want to reinstall or whatnot.

Is a thumb drive a good place to store those files? Safe, etc? Or are thumb drives only good for transferring files from place to place?

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

for the 10 bucks you spent on a thumb drive you could burn those files onto about 25 blank cds and have 25 backups. lol.

Thumb drive would be fine thought, but i'd say just burn a cd of those files. perhaps 2 if you are really worried about getting scratched or something.

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Yeah, it'd work. It'd be particularly good because its solid-state and won't be prone to scratching.

But just be sure to get the cheapest you can get, which I'd wager would be around a 256MB - unless you intend to add to the files you've got, you won't need to spend any more on more storage.

edit...post 500. woohoo!

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

You could also use the free online backup mozy www.mozy.com . they offer 2gb of free backup storage, so, you should also get that :).

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I've thought of burning them to a CD, but it'd be impractical because it's a amorphous bunch of files. I keep adding to them (my huge animated gif collection), deleting a bunch of files (mainly class notes and assignments, once the semester is done, they're trashed), and stuff.

7. Hetman macrumors newbie

Hetman

I don't get it. the drive is $9.95 with free shipping. subtract from that the $10 discount. In theory they will pay you 5 cents to get a 1gig thumb drive.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Or you could set up a gmail account and store them there - they offer +6GB of storage :)

You can email them to yourself there - Gmail seems pretty stable.

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Email myself 200+ individual files?

LOL thanks anyway, I'm grabbing a thumb drive.

10. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

There is an interface - for PC only I think, which allows you to "see" your Gmail box as a hard drive and upload via drag and drop, but I was not suggesting that as it is not Mac based, AFAIK.

Also, if these files are so important to you I assumed that investing some time to make them secure would be given.

Edit : link here

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

A thumb drive would be very good. However, NEVER have the only copy of important files on a pen drive, they are two easy to lose. What you should do is keep them on the pen drive AND your computers hard drive. That way you are protected against both situations of reinstall and losing the drive.

12. dringkor macrumors member

Amorphous files? Adding and deleting? That is exactly why you need to burn backup copies on CD-R or DVD-R. A backup isn't just for when your hard drive crashes -- it's for when you accidentally delete or edit files and you want the original version back, too. Blank CDs and DVDs are cheap enough that you can burn them at intervals. Make multiple copies and keep them at your house and your work and your mom's house and wherever. You can lose your thumb drive, or accidentally erase an important file from it. It's good to know that, even if your house burns down or your purse or keys get stolen, you still have a copy of your important files somewhere else.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

where are you getting 72 cents? Its 9.95 with free shipping, which is less than the $10 credit from google checkout.

I did this a long time ago and it was 100% free and never showed up on my credit card, its even gone down in price from exactly $10.00 when I ordered it to $9.50.

14. Antimatter macrumors regular

But it says on orders over $10 before shipping and taxes. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

EDIT: Yeah, it doesn't work. I'm going to try and find something real cheap there though, so I can get it for like a dollar.

15. mark2288 macrumors regular

it's actually quite easy if you archive the files into bins that are just about the max size a gmail email can be...

that would probably reduce the number of "files" you need to upload.

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Oh I think I know what they did. The USB stick used to be exactly $10 when I ordered it a few months ago, they must have lowered the price so it doesnt meet the $10 minimum to stop people from getting it for free.

You can probably find a USB stick on the site between $10-12 that would qualify and pick one up for next to nothing.

17. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Why don't you use Mozy, just as I stated above.... if you constantly update your files, Mozy, once a day, will backup the folder. It's also stable... I've backup'ed 1.7 gb without a hitch. Getting the backup is also VERY easy. Under 1 hour, you have a link to you backup, and you download a .dmg of it. Simple as that.

18. gonyr macrumors 6502

A thumb drive is perfect for this. If you're worried about having a backup copy of your files, get two thumbdrives. They're certainly cheap enough now, and they're way more convenient than always burning stuff to a CD.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not as cheap as a thumb drive, though.

Put them in a file and compress the file. After that, send the single file to yourself.

20. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Cheap ? How much does free cost to you? You have 2 free gb of memory... but you can have unlimited space for 4.95 monthly. MozyHome Free https://mozy.com/registration/free

21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

What the hell is AFAIK?

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A - As
    F - Far
    A - as
    I - I
    K - Know

Or --> As far as I know.

23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't know most of these acronyms because I never use them.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is a variety of sites out there that might help.

Here's one.