Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Mine is under Applecare for ten more weeks so I'm caught in a squeeze.

I don't want to own a machine that's not covered by Applecare, I would like to buy something before the end of the business year, and nothing new will be released in the next couple months, so I should go buy a new PB today.

But on the other hand, the TiBook is still a very nice machine, and with a RAM upgrade would easily carry me until summer of next year, and who knows what cool machines will be out then? Will Intel have a CPU that makes my G4 look like a ham sandwich? Or will the Mactel's be chock full of hardware and software problems? (Remember the 5300cs? I basically had to throw mine in the garbage.)

Conservative play is to buy the new PB now I guess and wait and see on the Intels.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I hear ya...i don't have much time left on my AppleCare either.

I am hoping it will last me until the second revision of the Intel 'Books. I just hope i won't have to put money into it before then if something breaks out of warranty.

Edit:

just checked -- I've got until July 2006 until the warranty expires.

I think that'll come well before the second revision of the Intel PowerBooks.

Hopefully it'll last!

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
hey there...

you can install a firmware hack for the superdrive that updates it to 2x DVD and 16X cd-r. just so you know. I was running it on mine for over a year before i took it in to apple care this week to get it ready to sell, nothing wrong with it but a little loose corner on the case and no chips or screen marks... it has been babied....

Let me know if you are interested. it will be up for sale as soon as i make sure it's all pretty next week.

I am selling quite a few accessories with it and would take 1000.00 for a quick sale.

1gig of RAM installed
comes with radtech sleeve and keyboard cover.
USB2.0 PCMCIA card
USB dongle
and boxed tiger

I just bought the new 15 incher and need to pay for it. he he. i think i just sold the 22in ACD in my sig.

But even without selling mine, i highly recommend one if you find it for a good price. mine has been nothing but dependable, I'm just getting a little heaving on the design apps, and I was losing patience coming home to it from my dual 2.0 G5 at work, lol....

I say go for it if you want it. the last revs were great machines, and i have had NO paint problems on mine.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

technocoy

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Oh yeah, they kept that 1ghz TiBook on the market forever. Well, it was - and still is - a really good machine for OSX.

You know, I always thought I'd replace it with a G5 Powerbook. When are those coming out? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.