Should I buy a Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwxiao, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

I already have a router for the house. I want to have a Time Capsule for wireless backup, and still use the old router for the network (i am sharing the house so i can't replace the router). I have two questions.

1. Can I use Time Capsule without plugging the ethernet port? The router is in the basement, and I want to put the Time Capsule upstairs in my room. In other words, if I just plug in the power cord, can I use Time Capsule for wireless backup? Is it able to detect the wireless network and my MacBook?

2. My router would be 802.11g, is it gonna be very slow even the capsule is 802.11n?

Thanks!

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

As this is to back up a single Macbook, I see no reason for you to buy a Time Capsule. You won't be using the routing or access point functions, and the 500GB hd is overkill.

I suggest you just buy a cheap external drive - USB or Firewire - about 200 to 300 gb, and just plug it into your macbook every couple of days.

It'll work a lot faster than a wireless backup, and Time Machine will store your backups till the next time you plug in the external.

3. crazy legs macrumors member

crazy legs

4. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Ok, so yesterday I got a 500GB time capsule as a gift.
    I have a 250GB hard drive in my computer (about 75 of which are still free for use).

Is the Time Capsle also an overkill for me?

If so, could I partition the drive in the time capsule and use one part for backing up, and another for general storage?

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You don't even have to partition, you can just throw crap onto it.

6. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I have the same dilemma, I want a TC but I don't know if I can use it like a normal, for example, backing up the only the stuff I want like copy the files the want only instead of backing up the whole system. And the other thing is that I don't if it fast enough...

7. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Oh, ok, I didn't know that. i just got it. Actually, I'm still doing my first backup.

You can chose things NOT to back up into it, which could be a hassle. Also, according to Batt, you can just drag things into it.

Speeds will be pretty decent if you just use TC as the primary device in your network. In other words, REPLACE your current router (if there is one) and use the TC instead. Afterwards, if you still want to use the router, just ADD it to your network. That way your can get awesome reception all over your house, and the FASTEST wireless backups.