Should I buy a used 2010 17" Macbook???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marniet, Apr 19, 2013.

1. marniet macrumors newbie

I need help! I am set to buy a used 2010 Macbook Pro 17" tomorrow for $1000. Is this a dumb thing to to? I can't afford a new one, but this is pretty old, and I'm wondering why they don't make 17" anymore. I could use some feedback. Thanks so much!

Here are the specs:

Specs: High Res Matte Screen,2.93GHz Intel Core2Duo processor 8GB Ram 640GB Hard Drive 1920x1200 Display Resolution (Anti-Glare) 512MB 9600GT Video Card (Dedicated) SuperDrive (DVD/CD) FireWire 800

2. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I just bought a used 2009 MBP with "lesser" specs than that and have been pretty happy with it. Like most will say, it depends on what you'll use it for, but I think that's a pretty good price.

3. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

What will you be using the laptop for? Haven't checked prices for 17s but depending on what you use it for, is a refurb MBA ok? I think its cheaper and would be faster due to the ssd.

4. marniet thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill be using it for graphic design -- I work mostly in photoshop and illustrator. Creative Suite and Mountain Lion are already on it. Do you know anything about the expected lifespan of Macbook? I just feel like this one is a little elderly : )

Thanks for your help, guys-- I appreciate it!

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I bought the very first Intel MacBook Pro in 2006 and still use it regularly. It has all its original components.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Check the battery (cycles/wear level) as those are almost always the first thing to go. Also, the SuperDrive in my 2006 crapped out years ago, but I didn't bother to replace it as very little of what I do (and nothing I do with that particular computer) requires a disc drive. Slot load drives are piss poor on reliability.

Also keep in mind that just because someone is giving you a computer with Creative Suite installed, doesn't mean you are getting your own copy of Creative Suite. The license isn't transferrable and without the CD key you won't be able to reinstall if you ever need to.

Also the price looks right but that's not a 2010 model, it's a 2009 purchased in 2010. The next generation had the i5 and i7 CPUs, and if you can find one of those for a few bucks more it might last you longer.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

This MacBook will easily last you a few years if you replace the HDD with an SSD. The high-res anti glare is a nice feature as well. Just because the specs are a little outdated does not mean it will be very slow for Photoshop and Illustrator-- the processor has a high clock speed if not a new chipset, and the RAM will help with that as well.

7. Doward macrumors 6502a

I bought my fully loaded late 2011 17" MBP WITH AppleCare for $1400.

So no, I don't think that's an amazing deal.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It is 3 years old, it is not dead yet. Just add SSD, MBP will fly beautifully. I love my 2007 MBP I bought almost 2 years ago, it worked GREAT also I add SSD, it ran smoothly as butter. :apple:

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

This:

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

This is good practical wisdom right here..

Agreed, my 2006 17" MBP is still sly... If it was taken good care of and runs smoothly than you are lucky. I baby all of my precious tools so I can see me using the 2006 mbp for another 8 years, 15 years? Sure.

11. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

it depends on the first user..

I have the exact 2010 model with the Nvidia GT330. The one you are talking about is a 2009 model as already mentioned.

When buying a MBP I can highly recommend the 17' model. In terms of performance, I would try to get the 2011 model because of the great difference in performance to the previous models. It has a quad core cpu and a powerful ati gpu that is far superior to the previous models.

But if your budget does not allow a 2011, go at least with a 2010 model with the 2,8 ghz cpu. Its the last dual core i7, but it will last you long if you put a Samsung 840 SSD in it. I am extremely happy with my 2010 machine and I feel it will last a very long time. The 8Gig Ram is enough for my needs as well as the SSD. The Nvidia could be a bit faster, but in general its an outstanding machine that will serve you very well for the years to come.

Go for it. You will be very happy if you catch a machine that was treated very well by the first owner. Also look on the battery cycle. If it has a high count, you can negotiate the price down..