Should I Buy a Used MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tmricks, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tmricks macrumors newbie

I am currently making the switch over to mac after getting my macbook pro 13" two years ago. My question is should I buy the 2007 mac pro with 2 dual core 2.66 ghz processors and 4 mb of ram? I want to be able to run after effects, cinema 4d, and final cut all with little problems.

I currently have a pc with an intel i7 920 and 6mb of ram. Would this be a significant downgrade or should I just save my money for a more powerful mac pro or even an iMac?

2. simsaladimbamba

Download Geekbench and run a benchmark on your current Windows PC and MacBook Pro and compare the results via the Geekbench Result Browser (PC / Mac).
    While a 2007 Mac Pro can handle those tasks with enough RAM, a current i7 iMac with 32 GB RAM might be faster.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That one actually came out in 2006. Yes it is significantly slower than an i7 920. The mac pro is in a weird spot. The base model isn't so great for what it costs. The 6 core has been the popular one since its debut, but it still hasn't been updated since 2010. The problem is similar on the Windows side. Intel hasn't released much in the way of Xeons/i7 extremes other than a few at insane pricing. In terms of raw cpu power, your i7 920 is roughly equivalent to the current base mac pro model (it uses the Xeon version of the i7 930). The imac has received more recent updates, but I'm not a big imac fan.

You haven't really mentioned what you're looking for in a machine or how you use it.

4. tmricks thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the reason for the mac pro is so that I can use my black magic intensity pro in it. I also use a lot of Cinema 4d and after effects and maybe some final cut. Nothing too crazy but I hate it when a program lags or my render times are crazy long. Also I have an extra ATI 5770 in my computer now that I could put into the mac pro because I do a little gaming.

5. thekev, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure about lag really. I simply can't comment there. Render times would definitely be longer. What are you renderer are you using? If you're going for a used mac pro, I'd suggest looking for a good deal on something like a 2009 model.

The cheapest 2009 model would be fairly comparable to your i7 920 in raw cpu power. It would be new enough that upgrading the gpu will probably be an option with whatever comes out for the next mac pro generation. The ram is significantly cheaper than ram for the older ones in case you're upgrading ram. 2006-2008 used FB dimms. They were pretty expensive. A few people on here have mentioned finding used 2009 mac pros for a little over $1000, so they don't have to be terribly expensive.

I really don't care for the imacs (they run pretty, glossy display with led backlighting that isn't very good for color grading and the glossy effect tends to hide fine details if any light is hitting it), but "in cpu only" (and assuming temperatures stay low enough that they don't have to throttle down), the i7 imac is faster than the slowest quad mac pro. They should be coming out with a new mac pro by early next year. This may put a lot more 2009/2010 models on the used market, but in terms of single socket workstations, you pay a lot for what you get with Apple. The single socket mac pro is one of the things that even the real Apple fans say is priced pretty high. Edit: the first few versions were actually priced really competitively, it's just since 2009 that a single socket workstation goes for that much

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

A current brand new macbook pro will probably be cheaper than an used macpro

dont worry, an i3 with 2gb memory Mac OS is faster than i7 6g windows

7. tmricks thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found a 21.5" iMac with 4gb of ram, 2.5 ghz i5, and a 500gb hard drive. How does this compare to my windows machine and the mac pro I am looking at as far as speed? Specifically render times. There are just too many options.