should I buy a used MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fms714, Aug 16, 2010.

1. fms714 macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2010
    All I know about it is I may be able to buy a 3-5 year old MBP with a 120GB HD, I think 2.16GHz processor, and 2GB of ram for $350. I'll be able to look at it and see if it works before I buy it and think its a good price. I was just wondering if theres any reason not to buy it if it looks like it's in good condition.
  2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2009
    Check the graphics card - is it the 8600m GT? If so, don't buy it. That graphics card is prone to fail.
  3. fms714 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks that was one of the main things concerning me because I heard something about it but not in much detail.
  4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

Sep 7, 2008
    do you rly want to know?
    i don't think this one has that gpu. this model shipped with a ATI x1600 graphics card which by todays standards is weak for gaming but i don't think you were looking to game on a 4 year old laptop.:) so you cna relax OP. your MBP's GPU will not spontaneously combust or something.
  5. fms714 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2010
    4 years old is better than my 5 year old first gen macbook:D. Ill just check to make sure when I'm looking it over.
  6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

Sep 17, 2009
    honestly i would not , i did need a new laptop :( because my ibook went dead (totally) so i looked on a replacement ibook,powerbook G4 as i am still a ppc fan and dont see intel Mac's as real Mac's , but all i could find had been dead or half dead batteries, dentend scratched or only half working ones or well overpriced so i looked at MB's MBP's and looked at the fail rates in all sort of forums , and found they are even worth then ppc laptops despite beeing just 2-3 years old , so i bought a MSI wind hackintosh snow leo , cheaper , brandnew and with warranty and it does the job, with external display and keyboard and mouse it could even replace a powermac G3