should i buy accessories from Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bubulol, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bubulol macrumors 6502

Hey i want to know if it worth it to buy accessories from another brand
    is there any lowering of quality if it aint made by Apple themselves?
    of course i aint talking about those Chinese products on Ebay but more about those products on sale by Belkin, D-Link etc...

e.g adapter mini displayport to hdmi or dvi, should i buy official one or turn into another brands?

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I've bought those adaptors from Apple. But I haven't had to buy one since Monoprice is now around. I was looking at a mDP to DVI cable so I wouldn't have to worry about messing with an adaptor. With Monoprice you'd also be able to get the length you need vs. getting an adaptor and using the standard 6ft cable.

3. Volkan1984 macrumors member

Here's my opinion

There is actually nothing wrong with 3rd party accessories. You should only watch out that those products could stop working after certain updates (I mean, Apple does not have to guarantee that the accessory keeps working after all).

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You don't have to buy your accessories from Apple.

In fact, there are -many- 3rd-party peripherals out there that are far better, and cheaper.

Particularly regarding mice, keyboards, and DVD drives...

5. Htin macrumors regular

Htin

Reputable 3rd Party Manufactures are fine, they should save you a bit since everything from Apple is expensive. As long as they come with reasonable warranty and technical support. I wouldn't see why not to buy 3rd Party. You can try dealextreme or focalprice if you are looking for cheap.

P.S. bad experience with D-Link.

6. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

why i asked advice, i had bought basic charger and usb cable for my phone, pretty bad experience, it didnt charge well battery, sometimes battery stuck at 99%, sometimes it makes like whole night for charging 15%, i never had such issues with official, i asked Sony (i own Xperia by the way) via call support center and they insisted for using mainly official
    so technically, those 3rd party stuffs are nearly as good as official?

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Depends on the brand. What brand did you buy?

You have the official stuff, then great quality 3rd party stuff, then the off brand ones you find at Family General Dollar, then the knock offs on eBay.

I'd stick with great quality 3rd party stuff and above, especially when it comes to charging or anything electrical. For cases it might be different.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I would buy anything from Apple because I would not have to worry about Apple accessories damage to my rMBP with AppleCare+! :apple: