Should I buy Age Of Empires 3?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Steven Jackson, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

I've never played a game on my Mac, but I kind of fancy trying Age Of Empires 3. Two questions:

1/ How does it install. Does it use a messy installer and put files all over the place, or is it a nice draggy-droppy app?

2/ Will it run well (nice graphics) on myc computer: 2.33GHz iMac, 2GB Ram, 256MB graphics card?

Thanks for any help.

Steve.

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I've never seen any Mac game ever put files all over the place, but yes, it's drag 'n' drop. :) Though you should download and install the patch after installing the game.

The model of the graphics card matters far more than how much memory it has, but if that's the 7600, it's plenty fine.

--Eric

3. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I reckon i'll get it...

Steve.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have the current 2.4 GHz 24" iMac AL and AOE3 works perfectly well at 1920x1200 all settings on the defaults (pretty much everything on high), and AA changed from OFF to LOW. It gets a bit choppy but is still playable if you up the AA to HIGH.

5. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Yeah I can confirm it works nicely on the 2.4GHz 24" iMac with 2GB of RAM.

It also plays fine on my 2.16GHz 20" iMac (the previous edition) also with the 256 card and 2 gigs of RAM.

Anti-aliasing isn't that essential when you run it at native resolution and incurs quite a large performance penalty.

Oh and I would advise downloading the demo if you want to test it.

6. pprior macrumors 65816

Been awhile since I installed it but I recall it was just a drag and drop install.
    My kids mac is a Imac same specs as yours and it runs the game at high quality settings full widescreen resolution just fine.

It's a very fun game - my son and I play against/together frequently. We don't go online with it. Just got the expansion pack and so far we haven't been able to get it to run - crashes and locks up every time we try to play it. Haven't had time to troubleshoot that problem yet.

Warning: it is a time sucker :)

7. togermano macrumors regular

It runs good on my new imac but it looks like **** due to having the lcd screen and the game resolution is low :(

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

So turn the games resolution up. I run it at 1920x1200 here.

9. pprior macrumors 65816

Exactly - the default it starts at is not panel resolution - just set to match and it'll look MUCH better.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I wouldn't imagine this games runs on MacBooks? Or should I just stick with AoE II?

11. Blackwood macrumors newbie

Installing?

How do i install the game?
    And whats drag and drop install?

12. Sweep'n Streets macrumors member

Have you opened the CD? Or is it a disc image?