Should I buy Airport Express Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davyvfr, Dec 26, 2012.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

Hello,

I live in a dorm and get crappy Wifi quality due to interference from the walls (wifi going through them) and as a result it makes my Ipad and Iphone almost not usable on the university's wifi network. In the meantime I have been using Internet Sharing but I don't like turning on my laptop all the time and having it out just to connect to the Internet. So, why should I buy the Airport Express over any other basic router? Is it any faster than standard routers today?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Does your dorm have wired Ethernet available?

3. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

As the above poster said, you need wired ethernet to have any use for an airport express. If you do, then yes, the AirPort Express is a great device, however in my opinion Apple has made it less appealing now that it doesn't plug directly into the wall... Nevertheless, it's still a terrific choice for mobility when you want to take your network with you. It's quite fast, if that's a concern.

The main reasons to buy an Express are its low profile, and Apple device compatibility. Naturally this will work with any WiFi-equipped device, but it will work even better with any Apple devices.

4. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, direct ethernet connection is available. And the range of the router just needs to be in a small area (the size of my dorm room). Its nice it has a low profile.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The other thing to consider is that the Extreme has 3 Gigabit LAN ports available. Do you have any devices that you want to wire into the Router ? If you do, then you will have to buy a switch to add to the Express.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

AE plugin+ cheap and simple solution to OP's issues, but just buy the little one...Later this year, new wifi standards will be ratified which will make AE TC etc. a lot faster and more reliable...If you can, garb a refurbished unit from Apple...Save some $$ whilst waiting for the new standards to kick in.

7. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Speed is fairly irrelevant to most airport express buyers. It's highly unlikely that the OP will have any issues with the real-world max of 802.11n, in the near or foreseeable future. It's also plenty reliable as it is. It's probably worth waiting for the new tech to be fully debugged by us early adopters before jumping on board anyway.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might first check with friends or IT at school to make sure you can use your own router. Some schools block them.