Should I buy an AC Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appleguy123, Feb 27, 2016.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Before, my internet speed was 15mbps, and my 802.11n dual band time capsule has been fine for those speeds.

Now I upgraded services and my current time capsule is giving me 135mbps speeds. I don't have an Ethernet capable computer right now, so I can't just connect to the modem to figure out how fast my connection is.

What is the max speed that my current time capsule can give, and would an AC time capsule be better with my current internet connection?

2. andyt3 macrumors member

Well, I have some information that may be useful.... maybe :rolleyes:

I just recently picked up a 2TB refurb TC from Apple. I'm regularly getting 700-820mbps speeds on my Air, and both iPhone 6s +s in the house on AC (as reported by Airport Utility).

Now, I understand that my Xfinity internet speed is no where near that high, but, as far as I understand, that's what the TC could be pushing internet at.

For what it's worth, however, it does seem to be quicker than the Xfinity modem/router combo.

3. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I think it will improve a bit, as ac throughput is better and things like Airplay will also benefit.

I would get an Extreme though and continue to use the TC in Client Mode for Time Machine. The Seagate drives are risky in the TC and it is cheaper and more flexible to simply attach an external drive or drives.

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I can get a refurbished time capsule for cheaper than the AirPort Extreme (not in refurbished store). I used airport utility and all my devices are connected at 300mbps or more so I think my current time capsule is fine.