Should I buy an apple TV right now or should I wait

filtre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I need an Apple TV to :
- Stream audio from my iphone to my speakers
- Mirror my Macbook Air 11" 2012 screen to stream tv shows (vlc)

Apple tv has not been updated in a while.

- Should I wait for a refresh?
- can my mac stream HD tv shows (without itunes) at a decent framerate?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
There's nothing to suggest that a new Apple TV is necessary for any of the devices Apple have released currently except the Airport Extreme which is 802.11ac.

The next logical step is an updated Apple TV with 802.11ac support, when that happens? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you need an Apple TV now just buy one.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
If you decide to get an Apple TV, I would recommend getting a refurb at 25% off.

filtre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I just got one

So I just got one and Apple gave me a 25 € itunes gift Card.

I tried so use my TV as a second wireless display ; it worked with my Macbook Air 2012 (intel HD4000 graphic chip) but it was a bit laggy. I bought and used Beamer and it work well (excellent framerate in HD). It's not as flexible as mirroring my screen and use VLC (as it takes time to skip parts a video ie) but it's ok.

+ I like
So now I can stream my tv shows from my laptop and still use it to browse anywhere in the living room, without iTunes!​
the box is really small and no ugly power brick required​

- I don't like
I can't use both HDMI and optical out at the same time for the sound​
To stream audio with the TV off I want to use optical out/SPDIF​
To stream video I want to use HMDI for Audio but it seams that I can't use both??​
My iPhone cannot detect and wake up the Apple TV to play music, I have to turn it on with the remote :(

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
You should just be able to plug your AppleTV into a vacant HDMI slot on your receiver and when you stream something to your Apple TV it should just wake up and start playing.

It might take a few seconds if your Apple TV is asleep. If it's not working then do a normal loopback check, check everythings plugged in, check your network, check whether the AppleTV is plugged in, check that the light is on, and then check to see whether you can see your itunes library through home sharing, or that it is Airplaying from your iDevice.

filtre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I'll try that and I'll also activate the wifi. Hope it will make the ATV Airplay visible when off eventually.

Do you have any tips to have a better framerate when mirroring my screen as I'd like not to rely on Beamer/iTunes (I'm using ethernet for the ATV I have a strong wifi signal)?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I'll try that and I'll also activate the wifi. Hope it will make the ATV Airplay visible when off eventually.

Do you have any tips to have a better framerate when mirroring my screen as I'd like not to rely on Beamer/iTunes (I'm using ethernet for the ATV I have a strong wifi signal)?
Airplay mirroring of displays is not really intended for the purpose of using a screen as a second monitor, if you want to do that you're always better to plug in directly to the screen.Airplay mirroring is really for keynote presentations and those kinds of things that don't require high frame rates.

You can improve your frame rate by ensuring that all of your devices on your network are running on 802.11n and that your Apple TV is situated in a position where it can get the best possible network signal.

Failing that, upgrade to a router with more powerful high gain antennas or screw in larger more powerful antennas into your existing router if that's possible.

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I would wait until the rumoured October event...probably just new iMacs and maybe Mac mini?

If no AppleTV is unveiled then, it's unlikely we'll see a new model until sometime in the new year.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I would wait until the rumoured October event...probably just new iMacs and maybe Mac mini?

If no AppleTV is unveiled then, it's unlikely we'll see a new model until sometime in the new year.
I second this. If we are to see a new Apple TV this year, it will likely come in the October event. If it doesnt come, then go ahead and get the current Apple TV.

spacepawn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Hope I don't get stoned to death here but if a new version doesn't come in October I would suggest getting a Roku 3 (or Fire TV). Eventually the apple TV will be updated and the old apple TV is already ancient so you will most likely get the new apple tv when it comes out, at least going Roku it would more likely complement the new apple tv (Prime Instant Video, etc) and hold you off until the update.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Hope I don't get stoned to death here but if a new version doesn't come in October I would suggest getting a Roku 3 (or Fire TV). Eventually the apple TV will be updated and the old apple TV is already ancient so you will most likely get the new apple tv when it comes out, at least going Roku it would more likely complement the new apple tv (Prime Instant Video, etc) and hold you off until the update.
I don't see how this meets the OP's needs.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
If you want to watch TV channels or use Netflix etc. then i would agree with you, but the needs are stated as being able to mirror mac's and an iphone which is unique to an apple TV.

With that said, i am in a similar position and have personally elected to wait for a possible update in October. If one does not come then i plan to buy a used/refurbished of the current model.

cheermom1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
apple TV

hi guys I'm in the UK and fairly new to all this and not great with it either , I was thinking of buying Apple TV what I'm looking to do is stream my Tv shows bought from iTunes on my main Tv from my Ipad Air is this what I should buy or do you have any other suggestions. thanks

mclog

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
hi guys I'm in the UK and fairly new to all this and not great with it either , I was thinking of buying Apple TV what I'm looking to do is stream my Tv shows bought from iTunes on my main Tv from my Ipad Air is this what I should buy or do you have any other suggestions. thanks
Apple TV is made for this job. If movies are purchased from iTunes, you won't need the iPad Air, you should be able to stream, or then use Home Sharing with the machine running iTunes.

MacBH928

macrumors 601
May 17, 2008
I am in the same boat but Apple TV has been out for a very long time (2.5 years) an update must be coming?

I can stream stuff from my VLC too right?

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
You can play stuff back from your iPad or Macbook for instance you if have already downloaded them, or you can stream and play titles you own straight from the "cloud" using just your Apple TV box.

I wouldn't go out and buy it today though - let's see what tomorrow brings when Apple shows off some new hardware. :)

trucker77

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
rip off dont buy movies from them

rip off dont buy movies from them
Sara T:
Thanks for contacting iTunes. My name is Sara T. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Ferdinand:

Ferdinand:
i need to either be refunded for theses two movies or need them put back

Sara T:
Thank for the case number Ferdinand I am just reviewing that now and I will be right back with you

Sara T:
Thank you for your patience, I understand the movies Ironman 2 and Thor were unable to be downloaded again in iTunes in the Cloud and we attempted to manually restore them but were unable to do so, is that correct Ferdinand?

Ferdinand:
are u still there

Ferdinand:
yes

Sara T:
Thank you Ferdinand I am sorry those were not able to be restored manually again as I can understand how frustrating that can be.

Ferdinand:
why those specofic movies

Ferdinand:
i have over 200 movies with you guys

Ferdinand:
if this is an issue then thats it i wont purchase anymore movies

Sara T:
That is a good question! Since content providers are often updating content to provide better quality versions or to add extra features, they will often release new versions of the movies.

Ferdinand:
not my problem already purchased them

Ferdinand:
if i buty in the store they cant come to my house and take what i already purchased

Sara T:
Did you possibly have a backup of your purchases Ferdinand? If so those purchase should still be in the backups and can be added again to your library.

Ferdinand:
they are not there

Ferdinand:
they should be a device that dowloads each movie as u buy them into hardware if thats the case

Ferdinand:
i have plenty of movies thet were upgraded and i still have them

Sara T:
I am checking with a few resources now to see if we can find another option to get those restored or possibly refund for you.

Ferdinand:
ok thank you

Ferdinand:
its not like music you miss a song cost you 1.29 these movies cost 20 not cheap

Ferdinand:
and why isnt in the cloud

Ferdinand:
it advertises that all movies be in this cloud

Sara T:
When content providers update content or remove the original purchases from the iTunes Store, the original version is no longer available to be downloaded in the iTunes in the Cloud.

Ferdinand:
i just cant deal i love film and im a collector

Ferdinand:
not my problem

Ferdinand:
i bought it

Ferdinand:
i have rights

Ferdinand:
again i have plenty of movies that were updated

Sara T:
We always recommend backing up your purchases Ferdinand, that will ensure that if content is updated in the iTunes store you always have a backup copy for it as well.

Ferdinand:
doesnt state that anywhere on apple tv

Ferdinand:
not even when you purchase the movie

Ferdinand:
and i buy all movies straight from apple tv

Sara T:
Ferdinand, I checked with other resources and we were unable to restore them again. I again apologize for that.

Ferdinand:
dont understand why

Ferdinand:
so you stole 40 dollars

Ferdinand:
where does it say u have to back up movies

Sara T:
When content is modified significantly from its original release by a content provider, we are unable to provide a different copy or a refund for that content. For this reason, we recommend backing up all downloads to prevent any data loss should content be removed from the store.

Sara T:
You may review the iTunes terms of service, where these recommendations are listed at the following link: http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html.

Ferdinand:
so you stole 40 dollars

Sara T:
If you would like to leave feedback about this policy, I recommend doing so at the following link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Ferdinand:
and that legal crap so you can get away with it

Ferdinand:
you lost a customer

Ferdinand:
will not stop here

Sara T:
I can also suggest reaching out to the content providers for the movies as well as they should have other options to update the purchases.

Sara T:
Also note that Apple does not offer protection for the loss of data from your hard disk. Therefore I recommend that you back up your iTunes library as soon as possible, and thereafter on a regular basis. I'm including backup instructions. iTunes: Back Up Your Itunes Library By Copying To An External Hard Drive: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751 iTunes: About iOS Backups: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946 Choosing An iOS Backup Method (Should I Use iTunes Or iCloud To Back Up My iOS Device?) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Ferdinand:
nope you sell a product your responsible i m done and i will report this matter to every website i can find dicourage people from buying movies from apple tv

Ferdinand:
that should come up when you buy the MOVIE!!

Ferdinand:
it doesnt

Ferdinand:
i bet you will now

Sara T:
I will submit that feedback for you Ferdinand.

Sara T:
Please know that the content providers have full control over their applications. If they remove the current version and then replace it with a different version without an update iTunes will consider it a brand new item.

Ferdinand:
i hope you do im very upset that my libary is in jepordy of being lost

Ferdinand:
i have plenty of movies that were updated

Ferdinand:
still there

Ferdinand:
not an excuse

Sara T:
If you back up your purchases any loss should be prevented.

Ferdinand:
ok now

Ferdinand:
but what happen 200 movies ago when i bout my first movie from apple tv

Ferdinand:
it doesnt say it

Sara T:
That information is listed in iTunes terms of service page.

Sara T:
Are you still there?

Sara T:
We have not heard from you for some time. Do you wish to continue to chat?

Sara T:
Since we have not heard from you for some time, we will now end this chat. Please click to chat with us again if we can be of further assistance.

If you need more help later, open this case. You can then start a new chat session or choose another support option.

Last edited by a moderator:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Sara T:
Thanks for contacting iTunes. My name is Sara T. Please give me a moment to look over your information.
It sucks yes, but Apple does not have any control over rights of content in its store. If a studio wants to pull it, they have to comply. this happens with all online video services. amazon, Netflix, HULU, etc none are immune.

Last edited by a moderator:

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
This is why I don't buy any content through itunes or any other digital download provider. You don't actually own the content.

The funny thing is, if you really wanted those 2 movies back, you could just torrent them. I wouldn't necessarily be against that in this case. You paid for it.

Search for:
"Thor WEB-DL"
"Iron Man 2 WEB-DL"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.