Should I buy an apple TV right now or should I wait

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by filtre, Sep 29, 2014.

1. filtre macrumors newbie

I need an Apple TV to :
    - Stream audio from my iphone to my speakers
    - Mirror my Macbook Air 11" 2012 screen to stream tv shows (vlc)

Apple tv has not been updated in a while.

- Should I wait for a refresh?
    - can my mac stream HD tv shows (without itunes) at a decent framerate?

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

There's nothing to suggest that a new Apple TV is necessary for any of the devices Apple have released currently except the Airport Extreme which is 802.11ac.

The next logical step is an updated Apple TV with 802.11ac support, when that happens? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you need an Apple TV now just buy one.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you decide to get an Apple TV, I would recommend getting a refurb at 25% off.

4. filtre thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got one

So I just got one and Apple gave me a 25 € itunes gift Card.

I tried so use my TV as a second wireless display ; it worked with my Macbook Air 2012 (intel HD4000 graphic chip) but it was a bit laggy. I bought and used Beamer and it work well (excellent framerate in HD). It's not as flexible as mirroring my screen and use VLC (as it takes time to skip parts a video ie) but it's ok.

+ I like
    So now I can stream my tv shows from my laptop and still use it to browse anywhere in the living room, without iTunes!​
    the box is really small and no ugly power brick required​

- I don't like
    I can't use both HDMI and optical out at the same time for the sound​
    To stream audio with the TV off I want to use optical out/SPDIF​
    To stream video I want to use HMDI for Audio but it seams that I can't use both??​
    My iPhone cannot detect and wake up the Apple TV to play music, I have to turn it on with the remote :(

5. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You should just be able to plug your AppleTV into a vacant HDMI slot on your receiver and when you stream something to your Apple TV it should just wake up and start playing.

It might take a few seconds if your Apple TV is asleep. If it's not working then do a normal loopback check, check everythings plugged in, check your network, check whether the AppleTV is plugged in, check that the light is on, and then check to see whether you can see your itunes library through home sharing, or that it is Airplaying from your iDevice.

6. filtre thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that and I'll also activate the wifi. Hope it will make the ATV Airplay visible when off eventually.

Do you have any tips to have a better framerate when mirroring my screen as I'd like not to rely on Beamer/iTunes (I'm using ethernet for the ATV I have a strong wifi signal)?

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Airplay mirroring of displays is not really intended for the purpose of using a screen as a second monitor, if you want to do that you're always better to plug in directly to the screen.Airplay mirroring is really for keynote presentations and those kinds of things that don't require high frame rates.

You can improve your frame rate by ensuring that all of your devices on your network are running on 802.11n and that your Apple TV is situated in a position where it can get the best possible network signal.

Failing that, upgrade to a router with more powerful high gain antennas or screw in larger more powerful antennas into your existing router if that's possible.

8. satchmo macrumors 68000

I would wait until the rumoured October event...probably just new iMacs and maybe Mac mini?

If no AppleTV is unveiled then, it's unlikely we'll see a new model until sometime in the new year.

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I second this. If we are to see a new Apple TV this year, it will likely come in the October event. If it doesnt come, then go ahead and get the current Apple TV.

10. spacepawn macrumors newbie

Hope I don't get stoned to death here but if a new version doesn't come in October I would suggest getting a Roku 3 (or Fire TV). Eventually the apple TV will be updated and the old apple TV is already ancient so you will most likely get the new apple tv when it comes out, at least going Roku it would more likely complement the new apple tv (Prime Instant Video, etc) and hold you off until the update.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't see how this meets the OP's needs.

12. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

If you want to watch TV channels or use Netflix etc. then i would agree with you, but the needs are stated as being able to mirror mac's and an iphone which is unique to an apple TV.

With that said, i am in a similar position and have personally elected to wait for a possible update in October. If one does not come then i plan to buy a used/refurbished of the current model.

13. cheermom1 macrumors newbie

apple TV

hi guys I'm in the UK and fairly new to all this and not great with it either , I was thinking of buying Apple TV what I'm looking to do is stream my Tv shows bought from iTunes on my main Tv from my Ipad Air is this what I should buy or do you have any other suggestions. thanks

14. mclog macrumors newbie

Apple TV is made for this job. If movies are purchased from iTunes, you won't need the iPad Air, you should be able to stream, or then use Home Sharing with the machine running iTunes.

15. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am in the same boat but Apple TV has been out for a very long time (2.5 years) an update must be coming?

I can stream stuff from my VLC too right?

16. betman macrumors regular

You can play stuff back from your iPad or Macbook for instance you if have already downloaded them, or you can stream and play titles you own straight from the "cloud" using just your Apple TV box.

I wouldn't go out and buy it today though - let's see what tomorrow brings when Apple shows off some new hardware. :)

17. trucker77, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

trucker77 macrumors newbie

rip off dont buy movies from them

rip off dont buy movies from them

18. 2010mini, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

2010mini macrumors 68040

It sucks yes, but Apple does not have any control over rights of content in its store. If a studio wants to pull it, they have to comply. this happens with all online video services. amazon, Netflix, HULU, etc none are immune.

19. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

This is why I don't buy any content through itunes or any other digital download provider. You don't actually own the content.

The funny thing is, if you really wanted those 2 movies back, you could just torrent them. I wouldn't necessarily be against that in this case. You paid for it.

Search for:
    "Thor WEB-DL"
    "Iron Man 2 WEB-DL"