Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I can get a Gen 2 for $75 and I am considering it. Is there a monthly cost involved with this or do I simply stream stuff from my iPad to TV? I'm not really sure what it is...I was in line getting my iPad 2 and some guy behind me was telling me it was a must have, hence...

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Seeing that the newest version is only $99 new. I would just spend the extra $25 and get the latest version. you'll get the iOS plus a smaller package. Plus you'll peace of mind knowing you have a new item with full warranty.

No monthly fee. You only pay for whatever content you rent/download.

Netflix, YouTube plus all of the video podcasts are free.

I've been really enjoying it and at some point may look into ditching cable tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Seeing that the newest version is only $99 new. I would just spend the extra $25 and get the latest version.

Wait...I thought the Gen 2 was the newest model? Am I wrong?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait...I thought the Gen 2 was the newest model? Am I wrong?

Nope, he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you can get a Gen 2, the black harddrive-less model then I'd go for it. How much warranty is left on the thing?

Seeing that the newest version is only $99 new. I would just spend the extra $25 and get the latest version. you'll get the iOS plus a smaller package. Plus you'll peace of mind knowing you have a new item with full warranty.

What in the world are you talking about? The latest gen is $99 plus tax and shipping where applicable.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTM3NTM1Nzk

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I can get a Gen 2 for $75 and I am considering it. Is there a monthly cost involved with this or do I simply stream stuff from my iPad to TV? I'm not really sure what it is...I was in line getting my iPad 2 and some guy behind me was telling me it was a must have, hence...

Great price if there is nothing wrong with it and it should still have some warranty left. No fixed monthly cost other than the price of a Netflix account if you want that and new movie rentals from iTunes are charged by the movie to your iTunes account. Cheers!

James

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
question..If im streaming a movie with atv2 to my tv from itunes will this count as data bandwidth from my internet provider?
I only have 25gb per month.
Thank you

JBG87

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
i just got one for 75$ from macmall ebay daily deal :D (its 80 shipped minus CA but i had 5 in my paypal)

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
If you jailbreak you can get many other options that are available.
Plex, XBMC, plugins for Hulu and many other tv options.
Go to Firecore.com and check out some of the options they have. They do charge a one time fee but I think it is worth it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I managed to get it for $70, but I have to drive across town to get it. This is a Craigslist deal which means I could be buying a dead unit...anyway to tell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.