Should I buy an Apple Watch series 3 or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TinaBelcher, Jun 9, 2018.

1. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

Would it be a waste of money to buy the Apple Watch series 3 now? Or should I wait until the fall?

My patience is running out. This year has been really grueling, not only am I waiting on the next gen watch but also next gen MacBook Pro. Neither got announced at WWCD, and I feel like the universe is playing tricks on me buy pushing them back. I have a little more patience for the MacBook Pro since its a really expensive device, but I don’t have it in me to hold out from buying the watch, especially during summer as I want to become more active. However, i still plan on buying gen 4 since its suppose to have more screen.

Would it be foolish to buy it now and buy gen 4 when it comes out and sell the old one?

Ps - I’ve never owned an Apple Watch, that’s why my patience is running out.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You’ve waited this long, wait a little further. New watch hardware was never going to be announced at WWDC.

3. Relentless Power, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s up to you. If you want the Apple Watch Series 3 now, then take advantage of it. You could always sell the Series 3 used if Series 4 does launch in September. But since you waited this long, then perhaps you could also wait additional 3 1/2 months if you can.

Apple has _never_ announced an Apple Watch at WWDC. They have announced new features through watchOS, but only the hardware has been announced in the fall. Also, WWDC is not primarily about hardware, as its about the software/developers.

4. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

It could be that the next watch appears in September but it’s not guaranteed (S3 LTE is still being released in more countries so the next generation may be further away) and if you want the watch to help you be more active over summer then waiting for autumn makes little sense.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If I was you. I’d buy a used stainless steel series 3 on eBay or swappa. It’s been long enough since release that you can get them at a sweet price now. If the Series 4 looked awesome, sell the Series 3. You’d probably get over 80% of your money back since you didn’t take the full depreciation hit.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Maybe not though, mainly because if you sell the Series 3 by the time of the announcement of the Series 4, the market is absolutely saturated with used Series 3 Apple Watches in place of everyone trying to upgrade to the latest model. The best time to sell the used Apple Watch is at least 2/3 weeks before fall keynote announcement.

7. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Totally agree!

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The rewards of waiting can be sweet, but too much delay simply robs you of the use you could be making of the current model.

I like the idea of buying a used S3 - you can learn whether you like the thing at a more reasonable price. If the S4 has few new compelling features then you can keep using that S3. And if the S3 sells you on having whatever it is the S4 has that the S3 doesn't.... it's still worth it.

Personally, I don't see much that's revolutionary in the hardware pipeline/rumor mill. The S4 seems likely to have evolutionary rather than revolutionary changes. But if it's more important to have the latest-and-greatest than it is to have something that's already pretty darned good, by all means, wait. Instead of having just 4 months of owning the latest-and-greatest, you'll have 12 months.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I suspect if Apple makes more physical changes with the Apple Watch Series 4, that might more attract more first time buyers as well. And given that battery life is crucial for such a small device, I also believe that if they can increase the battery life, that will also be more promising, especially given now LTE is a consideration.

After three generations of the same Apple Watch design, I do think the refresh is important, not just to increase sales, but to show the Apple Watch is continuing to improve with new design elements. I would also like to see an additional metal casing option, such is titanium, which is lighter than stainless, but extremely durable.

10. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice! I decided to buy a S3 gps brand new and I’m very happy with it. I couldn’t justify to myself for staying bitter for another 4-5 months just for the sake of waiting. I rather be happy with a little less money.

Using the s3 is a learning curve, but it’s gonna be fun as I continue to be better at using it for my needs. It’s such a relief to just look at my watch to check the clock and read notifications or messages, without having to dig up my phone from my pocket in the middle of work or class.

11. Kendo macrumors 68000

In my opinion the high of spending money and buying something will turn to regret once the new models with smaller bezels come out in a few months. Unlike an iPhone, MacBook, or maybe even an iPad, those are border line necessities while the Apple Watch is something you can live without for a few months.

12. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Wait

13. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I would wait. 3 more month is not that far away. Based on the trend, Apple is going to release a new version of Apple Watch in September, the same time as new iPhone release. The new one might have a new design. Buying now and selling it in three month is troublesome for me, maybe not for others. Be patient.

14. ericlmayer macrumors newbie

ericlmayer

For two reasons, I think the best time to buy a new Apple Watch is May - August.

First, any hiccups from the previous release cycle are normally discovered and treated. So, the product you get is reliable and stable--relative to a new release.

Second, you'll get the deepest discounts on the newest hardware. I've bought two watches during this range (a S2 42 aluminum and a S3 42 LTE SS. Both times, the watches were discounted $75-$100. (the S2 was bought from Best Buy and the S3 was through Apple's official refurbished site)

Granted, it can be tough to see new hardware with new features arrive a few months after you buy, but you have a bit of extra cash already saved in preparation for the purchase of that new device after it gets put on Apple's refurbished page in 6-9 months.

15. Matz Contributor

Matz

Congratulations on your new AW! It sounds like a good fit for you.

I get the rationale for waiting until the next update. However, there’s real benefit from having a device now that I expect you’ll use all day, every day. I went from a S0 to a S3 GPS not long after the S3 came out. I found the S3 to be a significant improvement over the S0. That said, the S0 was still functional, and I enjoyed using it right up until I gave it to my older daughter. She loves it.

Based on my positive experience with the S0, I don’t plan to upgrade when Apple next updates the AW. I expect with OS updates, the S3 will fill my needs quite nicely for quite awhile. Glad you’re enjoying yours!

16. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Currently have the series 0 AW and am waiting to see if AW4 is released in fall. If not will buy AW3 especially as the next OS does not support the original series which is a shame as still use it daily.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even though Watch the first Gen won’t see watchOS 5, it still will function and work as intended, you just won’t have the latest features and patches. As long as your first generation Apple Watch is still operating normally, you can still attend enjoy it for what it’s worth. I still think the first generation Apple Watch is plenty capable of handling all the intended tasks, but that’s not to say even if watchOS 5 was available for, how would the first generation react with it being it is underpowered.

18. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I vote wait. :eek::confused::p:D:oops:o_O

19. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

I saw that Best Buy dropped the price of the Series 3 and HomePod by $50 yesterday.

20. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I’m really happy with it. Also, I read that the next watch will most likely keep the same screen size after all and focus on the buttons. But regardless, it’s not like I’m gonna buy it ASAP it arrives tothe stores. I can see myself using this for at least the next 12 months.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There was a front page article on the discounts. I believe it’s valid to Father’s Day, which also other retailers will price match it if it’s in stock at their stores also.

22. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

I would wait until the Series 4 is announced...and then I would contemplate if you should wait even more since the series 5 is "just around the corner". ;)

23. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm curious if you are still happy with your decision or regret not waiting for the 4.