Should I buy an AppleCare for a new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MXM, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MXM macrumors member

I'm about to place an order for a new MBP, and the AppleCare costs £273.00. Do you think it's worth buying? If MBP is reliable, then there's little chance that I'll have to repair it after one year, but the protection plan does give me a peace of mind. Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd look at eBay. There's where I got mine for US$150.

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

For a laptop apple care or any kind of insurance is a must

4. MXM thread starter macrumors member

I thought about it too, but I've seen some threads saying we had to be aware of that...Thanks

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Dont buy it from ebay , if you going to buy a compter thats $1,000 up why start now cheaping out , You dont need to get it from apple theres alot places to buy it from , like amazon , and alot of more, if you want compare prices using this, Click me

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Always check ratings. There are quite a few vendors on eBay that specialize almost entirely in selling AppleCare.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OP, remember that you have almost a year to buy an AppleCare. You can buy it whenever you want if you're under 1 year warranty.

No need to rush now

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Some of the prices are pretty great bargain , But having peace in mind is priceless

9. MXM thread starter macrumors member

I can't find this option from Apple website, can I only find it from somewhere else? Thanks

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Read:

Attached Files:

11. atomicshark macrumors member

Applecare is a must!

I've owned a few mac laptops over the years and only one had no problems at all.

It was and still is my Powerbook 2400c. An amazing, but antiquated little beast.

My wife's white firewire iBook worked great but the case spiderwebbed. her Aluminum 12" Powerbook's screen died after 2 years. That was our last Apple without Applecare.

Recently my wife's black Macbook had gotten a creak in the hinge and cracks in the case near the palm rest, but Apple claimed it had liquid damage so they would not fix it. Funny thing is when they put it back together the creak went away. We lived with the small cracks but a couple of weeks ago my wife spilled a cup of water into the keyboard!

Now I'm in the market for a new mac and she is getting my G5. Oh well.:rolleyes:

My advice, buy Applecare and keep all liquids and moisture/humidity for that matter away from the Macbook Pro.

I hope this helps.

12. MXM thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, that really helps. I'll definitely get the AppleCare. :)

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...applecare seems to be a "must" have in most peoples mind...

14. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's peace of mind for little money. Logic board replacements are ~$1000 and usually if something breaks, the whole logic board has to be replaced

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Read Terms and Conditions. It should cover everything which is a hardware failure

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you mean by "breakage." If you put a screwdriver through it, then no.

18. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Gotcha, thanks. I probably should have asked if "accidental" breakage is covered.

The only thing that ever broke on any of my laptops was the screen.

19. macgrl macrumors 65816

I think so yes. Like any insurance it is a gamble and you may pay for it and have nothing go wrong. But if it does break and you don't have it....:)

20. islandman macrumors 6502

I say YES. When I got my first MBP in 2005, I didn't get Apple Care :(. Unfortunately for me, I had to have my battery replaced twice, and the power cord as well. IMO it would have been worth it. That same MBP right now is practically dead (doesn't boot up properly the first time) and needs a logic board. Although Apple Care would have been expired by now, I still wish I had it.

I just got a new MBP and I am getting Apple Care with that one.