Should I buy an ATV or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by golftech, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. golftech macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #1
    I was planning on getting Apple TV this fall, but have hesitated due to rumors of a new version. With the price of the 160g down, should I go ahead and buy or wait and see if a release comes out over the holidays?
     
  2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #2
    Since the new remote is still not shipping for a few weeks, I would hang on a little longer. If Apple plans to include the new remote, that means new packiging is required, thus a greater possibility they will update everything.
     
  3. rm2092 macrumors 6502

    rm2092

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #3
    I had one in my hands and was on my way to pay for it and then I changed my mind in fear that there would be a major update a few weeks latter ?
     
  4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #4
    i doubt it. safer bet would be to get a refurbished apple tv. they are pretty cheap. its basically just a hard drive so you dont need to worry about a refurbished one compared to say getting a refurbished laptop.
     
  5. AWDBat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    #5
    The current iteration of AppleTV is so old (in tech terms) that there has to be some movement at some point. Whether that means discontinuation of the product or a major update is anyone's guess. I love my AppleTV as do my entire family. If I were to buy one now I'd go refurbished with the smallest internal hard drive and hack it for an external hard drive.
     
  6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #6
    Since Shiller said the Holiday Lineup is set, I imagine nothing is coming until next year. There are plenty of rumors to suggest a new Apple TV is in the works, but alas it likely will have to wait.
     
  7. mickliq macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal
    #7
    I just bought a 2nd one as a Refurb. At these prices, why wait - there is clearly nothing coming immediately and you can enjoy it now.

    I just noticed some crazy deals on last Gen (mid 2009) Mac Minis - that's another way to go, though I prefer the ATV for Wife/Kid friendly setup.
     
  8. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    #8
    I was wrestling with the same question buying one as a gift for a friend, so I'll give my hesitations and conclusions:

    1. Will there be a new Apple TV before the end of the year?

    Almost certainly not. An Apple CEO recently said the holiday lineup is set. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new one along with the new Apple tablet, but you're safe from immediate obsolescence.

    Also, if Apple continues their tradition, you'll probably receive some sort of software update to pick up several of the new features, so you're probably good in the future for things like an App Store or iTunes extras.

    2. What about waiting for the new remote?

    I called 1.800.My.Apple twice, and both times they said they're not even sure if they're shipping the new remote with the Apple TV. What they ended up telling me is that if it made the difference between buying now and waiting, they would mark a note on my account, and send me the new remote if it indeed shipped with the Apple TV soon. If you call them before you buy and buy now, there's a chance they may cut the same deal for you (giving you two remotes instead of one!).

    3. Is it a good time to buy in terms of price?

    I thought it was worth it back when I paid $220 for the 40 GB hard drive! Now you get a 160 GB drive for the same price! This one's a no-brainer.

    My advice? Go for it now! You'll at the very least get a few months of enjoyment with the latest and greatest hardware and if new hardware comes out (which is still a question) and it's all that compelling and different, you can always sell your Apple TV and use the funds toward the new one's purchase price.

    I don't know how used generation old Apple TVs will fare on EBay, but historically Apple products hold their value pretty well, so you can consider an immediate purchase a rental, which would be totally worth it, IMO.

    By the way, I just checked EBay, and I noticed an "open box" 40 GB model still fetches $170+.
     

Share This Page