Should I buy an External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BRIANxJAY, Aug 1, 2011.

1. BRIANxJAY macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

I don't want to slow down my MacBook Pro with songs and other files. What do you guys think?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as an external HDD can also be used for backup purposes.
    Also know, to leave at least 10 to 20 % of the HDD's storage capacity free.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Buy it if you don't mind paying the price for it. I would recommend everyone to buy at least a 750GB or 1.5TB HDD for backups, iTunes storage, and many other stuff. The spaces will be eventually fed up, and your HDD will be clean at all times.

4. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

buy a solid state drive and use that slow 750 gb 5400 as an external

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Your computer will not be slowed down simply by files stored on it. Only running applications and processes will impact performance.

I would still recommend an external HD for backup though.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, for backup purposes.

Your computer will not slow down due to a large amount of files unless you fill your hard drive to the brim.

7. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Really, why so>?

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, always have an external hard drive as a backup. Time machine makes this very easy

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

If you use all your RAM, your computer will create a swap file. This is where your HDD allocates a certain amount of space to act as RAM in case you use it all. So, it is recommended to leave at least 10% of your HDD free

10. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Micromat recommends keeping 15% free and not having a heavily fragmented hard drive to prevent data corruption with directories, resulting in data loss.

11. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

just brilliant.... i never knew this, thanks so much.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Yeap, there's never enough room in an internal hd :D

13. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

external hard drive

hey, i've looked for this a little bit on here and haven't had much luck, maybe someone here can help!

i just bought a new mbp and have an external hard drive that i used with my old mb, it just has my iTunes on it. does anyone know if i can just plug the hard drive into my new mbp and my iTunes will recognize it? if not how can i transfer it over to work? and can i use that hard drive to back up my system with time machine? its not an apple branded hard drive. thanks!

14. sammjordan macrumors member

Absolutely, for Time Machine backups if nothing else

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If you don't have an external hard drive for backups... Get one now.

Just recently my family's iMac's hard drive died. My friend had two hard drives die. Someone else I know's computer's hard drive died. Hard drives don't last forever and you are screwed if you don't have a backup solution.

16. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

sadly i feel this way also. I hope that a 1tb will last me internally for the next couple of years atleast... i hope!

17. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Then you are tethered by an external drive, which eliminates the whole point of a Laptop...

I don't know about you guys, but even 240GB is too small.

I keep a LaCie 1TB Rugged drive in my lab, and do daily backups using Time Machine (well, I plug it in when I get to the lab, and just let it TM itself all day). It's only job is Time Machine, and nothing else.

If you don't want an external, you could always delete the ODD and THEN boot from an SSD and use your 5400RPM drive for file storage. I have, actually, thought about doing that.

I wasn't sure how Time Machine would handle something like that, though. And I still use the ODD on rare occasions.

18. jbjones85 macrumors member

I have the following configuration and it seems to be working out great.

120 GB SSD in main bay for OS and apps
    500 GB HDD in optibay for media (music, TV shows, pictures, ext)
    1tb External HD set up for backups

19. Apok macrumors regular

Oh yes, if nothing more than to backup. I didn't do this with my previous computer and lost everything I had saved for years. Music, pics, documents, games, you name it, all gone. I was able to recover pretty much all of the music from friends, but all my pics and docs were gone. Once I switched to my MBP, that was one of the first things I bought was a nice little 500 GB Western Digital, even matches my MBP and that was just a concidence. Best money I have spent on a peripheral ever. You wont regret it when your HD crashes.

20. MallCop macrumors 6502

21. parkm13 macrumors regular

22. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I guess it is time to invest in a 1G external. My MacBook Pro is pretty new, could I just wait till Black Friday to get one or should I not risk it and get it now?

23. jbjones85 macrumors member

I guess its all relative but they aren't that expensive I would pick one up ASAP. You would kick yourself if for some reason your HD went out between now and then.