Should I buy an iMac now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnobn, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. johnobn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #1
    Well, I'm thinking on purchasing an iMac since my current computer (eMac G4 700Mhz, 256 RAM. 40GB) is about to auto-explode from all the use I've given it for the past 6 years. Now that I have the money at my disposal ($1,800) I was planning on finally upgrading. The thing is, I sort of know how this whole technology thing works and I'm pretty sure the iMac will get an update soon. Well I've done some searching and found in this site that the new iMAcs will get minor upgrades this Novemeber. I don't want to purchase my new computer and then a couple of weeks later I find out something a little better came out at the apple store and ultimately regret not waiting. I'm in sort of a need but I could wait...but not too long though. I was wondering if there's some strong believers that 1st- an upgrade is possible by Novemeber and 2nd- will the wait be worth the wait or 3rd- I should just purchase one immediately because the current iMacs are good enough for a common user (non-gamer)
     
  2. blueicedj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #3
    Personally I would wait. It's safe to say that there will most likely be an update soon, even if it is a minor one. Now I would want to get the most out of my buck, and I would feel bad about not having the best (this is a problem I have). I'd say for the most part it should be able to wait. Why do you need it so quickly (if you don't mind me asking)?
     
  3. johnobn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #4
    Well besides the fact that my e(mac) is really pissing me off as it can't even run at least twp apps at once without getting that colorful ball or unexpectedly quitting. Can't edit my photos... the iPhoto completely slows down everything...takes forever to load any internet browser..USB ports are recognized as "1.0" not "2.0", my DVD-Rom broke about 3 and a half years ago and so I have an external drive, no other apps are usable unless they're run alone (and I always want iTunes opened), my harddrive has like 5 Gigs left and I'm a music collector so I'm constantly updating my iTunes, oh and the fact that I had to buy an external harddrive to store all my documents, videos, pictures, pretty much my whole computer backed up. Reasons go and on...really old computer...it's really asking me for its retirement.
     
  4. fteter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    #5
    When buying technology, there's always a good argument for waiting on the next release, upgrade, redesign, bump or whatever. You try to time your purchases on the upgrade cycle and you'll never buy at all. If you need it now, buy it now.

    I pulled the trigger on a new iMac for myself about an hour ago. Getting it now made much more sense than waiting for three months...or even three weeks.
     
  5. ditzy macrumors 68000

    ditzy

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #6
    There are no guarantees on when the new iMac will come out. To me it sounds like you need a new computer right now. If I was in your position I would buy now.
     

Share This Page