Should i buy an iMac or wait a bit?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nhdj, Feb 6, 2012.

1. nhdj macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I'm about to buy my first iMac but have just seen on this site that there's a new one due out imminently? Should I hang on for a couple of months or take the plunge now? Looking at the entry level one for £999

http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MC309B/A?

Any POV / advice would be welcome!

Many thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

An update is not immanent as intel needs to release Ivy Bridge in April or May. So you have until April -> June for a new iMac. Whether that's short enough for you to wait is your choice.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, a new iMac should be coming out within the next 3 months. Worst case scenario, 5 months in June, but I highly doubt this.

I would say wait. Current models will also drop in price as refurbished models so you can't go wrong.

Unless of course you really need the machine now.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Do you need iMac immediately?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would wait. There's the possibility that Apple will update the iMac's before fall.

When they do update them, I'd hold off on buying - it might be only a year or so before they're updated again. If you buy now, and that happened, you'd be two generations behind.

But then again, you'd have enjoyed using your iMac in the meantime. Buy it if you need it; unless the current models don't suit your needs, there's not much reason to hold off.

6. seniorgeek macrumors member

That's essy, if you need a new computer now, buy now, if you don't need a new system now, wait until the new iMac's to arrive.

7. jwm2 macrumors regular

No reason to hold off, my entry level iMac has plenty of horsepower. Waiting for a minimal spec bump just doesn't make sense. If you are using a windows pc now especially windows 7 then by all means do yourself a favor and buy one as quickly as possible. If you are currently using a mac then you might want to wait, its really up to you. But if the choice is buy now or keep using windows then it's a no brainer imo.