Should i buy an iPad 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlindau, Apr 3, 2012.

1. jlindau macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm out looking to buy an iPad but i'm not sure which one is the best buy right now? - the "cheap" iPad 2 or the new iPad 3? - is the screen so much better?

Please write comments here or vote/comment on this link: iPad 2 or iPad 3? as i'm collecting as much data as i can, so i can decide which one to buy.

thanks for your time! really appreciate it.

2. LaurenAJb macrumors member

My dad had the same decision to make two days ago, he chose the 3 because it was only about $100 extra :)

3. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

In a year resale value will be higher as well

4. TjeuV macrumors 6502

If you do lots of reading on your iPad, go for the new iPad. If not, go with the iPad 2. I also have much more faith in the iPad 2 battery. The new iPad is much more demanding for the battery and thus I think the battery will have a shorter lifespan.

5. Mikekan macrumors regular

Very true, the loss is minimized and you also get to use the new ipad for one year.

6. aleni macrumors 68020

get the new ipad, the retina display is much much sharper, and 1gb of ram makes a lot of suspended apps not closing by the lack of ram.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Stand them side by side, the two is still a good option, but once you see the screen on the 3 you won't go back.

8. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Get the 3...no screen or heat problems

10. davedvdy macrumors regular

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Both models are amazing, but $100 isn't enough to get an older device. BUT, if you are deciding between full retail price of an iPad 3 vs a heavily discounted clearance/open box/used iPad 2 then you may be okay with the cheaper model.

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Also bear in mind the new iPad will be supported for longer and possibly get new features in future updates that the 2 won't.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you have close access to an Apple store, there's your best bet. Otherwise just consider how much you think you need the latest tech. As much as I'd love an iPad 3, my iPad 2 is an excellent device that does everything the new one does.

iPad 2 is by no means outdated, and certainly isn't suffering slowdown issues on the latest OS like the first iPad seems to.

15. TjeuV macrumors 6502

My personal iPad is still the first generation and I'm not suffering any slowdown. However I work every weekend with the iPad 2 and the new iPad, so I can make a comparison :)

16. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

The are hundreds of posts detailing these problems

17. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

That's fair enough. I wasn't trying to say that the iPad one is useless, just that from what I've read a lot it has been suffering due to the RAM constraints tied with the latest OS.

18. G77 macrumors regular

Have both. Definately iPad 3, you get so much for 100 extra...

19. gurmukh macrumors newbie

ipad 2

I had the same decision to make earlier this week. Sold my iPad 1 and looking to get a 2 or a 3. After playing with a friends 3, its obvious to me that at this time, the iPad 2 is a better choice. Yes, the screen is excellent, but for any app that isnt retina supported, the viewing experience is poor and blocky. Some BBC iPlayer stuff looks worse if not in HD. Also all those iPhone only apps (i have a handful), increase in size ok-ish on the 1 and 2, but on the 3, almost unusable.

In a few months time, (Xmas?), the 3 would be my best choice, but for now, its a 2.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

The iPad 2 is thinner and lighter than its successor, but I recommend the iPad 3 for obvious reasons.

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Until yesterday I too would have said 3, however, mine went haywire yesterday and heated up my whole bag before draining to 5%. It took every bit of all night to recharge to 96% by 0700. That will be a non-starter for anyone who makes heavy use of the device during the day.

Something to consider for heavy business users like hospitals and doctors offices.

Cheers,

22. tranceFusion macrumors member

This is the dumbest justification that I keep hearing.

Let's look at today's prices. A used/refurb ipad 2 can be bought or sold for $350. This time last year it was $500. An ipad 1 can be bought or sold for $300. An ipad 3 can now be bought for $500.

So let's assume that the ipad 3 continues the historic trajectory and in one year from now the ipad 4 comes out.. the ipad 3 will be able to be sold for $350, a $150 loss. An ipad 2 will then be sold for $300, only a $50 loss, and you've already taken $150 out of pocket to buy it. You could then buy the ipad 3 for only $50 more, or you could buy the ipad 4 for $500 which would put your total out of pocket at $400 for ipad 2 > ipad 3, or $650 for ipad 3 > ipad 4.

So in a year from March > March you are spending $250 more to own the latest ipad vs a 1 year old ipad..

If you assume the same prices into the future you can see that your out of pocket spending grows at a much faster rate with the newest models.. ie $450 out of pocket for ipad 2 > ipad 3 > ipad 4 vs $800 for ipad 3 > ipad 4 > ipad 5.

Bottom line - The highest depreciation for these devices in in the first year. So please, just stop with the "higher resale value" arguments.

23. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

24. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

A lot has to do with your intended use.

If you use the iPad in dark ambients, in bed, at night, then I'd go with the iPad 3.

If you use the iPad in bright areas, outside, where you will need full brightness, I'd go for the iPad 2 with it's bump on battery life and quick charging.