Should I buy an iPad 2 or new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tarkmiddy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tarkmiddy macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying an iPad and wonder whether to get the new iPad or the iPad 2? If I get the iPad 2 I'll be getting a Apple refurbished one which makes it quite a lot cheaper then the new one.

In terms of use I'd probably want it for streaming some tv, using iWork, taking notes in meetings and very occasionally watching movies and playing games. I know that I wouldn't use the camera which means it's probably just the display that makes a difference with the new one as I'd be in Wifi anyway.

Which should I buy?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

2. noshjewman macrumors member

Clearly you will save money buying the iPad 2 - which is an amazing machine.

It will certainly cover all your needs. The things you should think about are:

1) how desperate are you for the 'new thing'? I know that I'm a gadget fiend, and have an unhealthy desire for whatever is newest. If you can fight that, great.

2) how much will you need improved graphics performance? This really counts if you're going to be playing high end games and/or working with photos.

If you aren't going to be using the device for this, the lower end 2 would be fine.

3) how long do you want to keep this machine for - how 'future proofed' do you wish to be? - while we can't know the future, iOS history shows that after a couple of generations, new operating systems won't work or are offered with limited functionality. So if you get the 3rd Gen iPad, it's likely to receive updates (and be able to run new features) for longer than the iPad 2.

4) how much reading will you be doing on the iPad? If you can, look at an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4. The difference on the screens is enormous. If you like reading on a screen - then the retina display is well worth the extra $100 or so.

- so again, it's all about balancing what features you want, and what you can afford.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I think the new screen will blow your mind. Not that there is anything wrong with the iPad 2 its a solid device. There will always be that gremlin in your head telling you you should have gone for the new one.

4. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

I'm also considering the same option.. but let me ask an additional question based on what TC has brought up..

Everytime I mention to a friend/family member that I'm looking at the REFURBISHED model instead of new iPad 2.. they go "ughhhh.. just pay the extra for the new". Does it really matter that much? I figure if it's purchased through Apple as refurbished.. isn't that basically good as new..?

5. Liquinn Suspended

That's what I was thinking on doing. But if I get the new iPad (third gen), I will want the iPad 2 to complete the collection or something.

6. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Pretty much. I had my iphone 4 exchanged with a refurb unit when it had button issues and the refurb looked new to me. Not a blemish on it. I think Apple has good quality control over this.

7. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Nothing wrong with getting a refurb - however you might have to wait a while to see a new iPad refurb - and I'd imagine they get snapped up quick. It's simpler to get a new one, but obviously you pay a premium for that, so it's up to you.

8. Liquinn Suspended

Should I wait until the 4th generation iPad is out to get the 2nd and 3rd gen iPads even cheaper?

9. tarkmiddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your comments. I'm swaying more towards the iPad 2 as I don't think the new features justify getting the new one.

I had an iPad 2 for a while last year and when I did use it for reading didn't really notice a problem and having glanced at prices of 1st Gen iPads on eBay if I decided to upgrade in a year or so's time I don't think I'd lose much money

10. Chupa Chupa, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are going to go iPad 2 then you can save even more $ buying a used one that is still on warranty from someone trying to dump theirs. Prices are in free fall right now so it's not hard to p/u a 16GB iPad 2 for $300. Buy AppleCare for $60 and boom you just saved another $40.

Edit: just noticed BestBuy was selling new units for $360, so that would be the better deal.