Should I buy an iPad 2 or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fterh, Jul 15, 2011.

1. fterh macrumors member

I know this's been asked countless times, but I haven't been following the latest iPad news, so I don't know when the next iPad will come out.

I did a quick Google search, and most people are recommending that you buy one now, because the iPad 3 is a good few months away.

But those threads are some time back (1 month?), so a lot could have changed in the meantime.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The so far established release time for iPad is in the spring. There are rumors of either an iPad 3 or an iPad 2 HD to come out this fall, but most folks think it's a real long shot. There's no real reason for Apple to do that right now. They're still the top tablet device around.

If you need/want an iPad right now, get one. Otherwise wait a few months and see if the rumors come true.

3. interwebs macrumors member

I guess it depends on how credible one thinks the rumor that the iPad HD will come out in September is, and what one thinks that will actually look like. I'm rather skeptical of the rumor, personally, and even assuming such a device did come out I don't think it will have the sort of underlying architecture that I think would really make for the complete package (PVR Gen 6 GPU/Cortex-A15 CPU). So, whatever the case, I'm looking towards a putative iPad 3 as the real upgrade.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Buy one now. If you don't give a hoot about Facetime, then go iPad 1. It's a killer deal.

5. fterh thread starter macrumors member

6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Well, several reasons I can think of:

- The iPad generally has newer tech inside of it than the iPhone, just because of the release schedule.

- There are A LOT more iPhones (and iPod touches) out there, so the jailbreaking folks focus on them first.

- Jailbreaking is more desirable on the iPhone because some people then unlock it from AT&T (or their regional carrier) or enable out-of-contract features. That gives iPad a back seat on the priority list.

7. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

I want wireless inductive charging like TouchPad

I wish that iPad 3.0 would support the same advanced wireless charging (inductive) that the version 1.0 of the HP TouchPad already delivers today.

I want an iPad and iWant wireless charging. When will we get this?

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why wait? apple likely won't bring out a new ipad until next year.

They aren't going to bring out a new one when they only brought the 2 out not that long ago. The iphone/ipod/ios 5 launch is all apple will likely do this year.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you wait six months until December for the rumored release and its not released you might as wait another six months for the official release of the 3rd one. Rinse, lather and repeat.

10. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I think you should wait. Why buy something that will most likely become out-of-date by next spring (or maybe earlier)? Just my opinion.

Like others have mentioned, I assume the jailbreaks take longer because less people own iPads & the demand isn't as high. It feels like everyone and their brother owns an iPhone these days!

11. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

According to your logic, you could never buy any electronics. Why buy the new iPad when a better one will come out in another year anyway. :rolleyes:

12. Lightey macrumors regular

That's not why. The iPad 2 doesn't have a lot of the same jailbreaks as other iDevices because Apple patched ShAtter and Limerain in the iPad 2.

13. sketchroll macrumors newbie

I say if you dont NEED it, then wait for the new/better ipad 3/hd. I actually made the plunge about 2 days ago. I bought it at Best Buy, which gives me 15 days for a full refund and no restocking fee. I would suggest you doing the same thing to try it out and to see if you really need it or not.

14. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Because I've become accustomed to the yearly updates of iPhones/iPads. I think that's a suitable timeframe. Like I said, just my opinion. Everyone has their own.

15. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I actually bought an iPad 2 last Sunday and returned it a few days later.

The next iPad will likely have retina display. If you can wait until the next refresh, I would do so because IMO buying an iPad with the current display only to have one with a far superior display come out a few months later would make me regret my purchasing decision.

16. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

If you have already got an original iPad like me, you shoul definitely wait for ipad3 early next year. However, if you don't own one at all, you don't realise what you're missing. If it's a financial thing, why not buy a 16gig model. Sell it next march on flea bay and get an ipad3

17. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

Buy one yestarday! The new one prob comes next year:rolleyes: