Should I Buy An iPad 3 Now Or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RealMadrid15, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RealMadrid15 macrumors member

I want to buy "the new iPad" (I'll just call it iPad 3) because of the retina display. I don't care about any of the "5000 degree - cook an egg - 3rd degree burn bull ****. Or the claims that the new iPad some how uses more data...it downloads things faster but doesn't actually use more data to do that. It's all up to how much the user downloads.

But anyways, back on topic.

What features are possible/expected/confirmed for the iPad 4. Unless there's some sort of stand-out feature for the iPad 4 I'm going to go ahead and buy the iPad 3.

I don't care if the iPad 4 has things like more RAM, faster processor, fix of the non-existent heat issue, better camera, thinner, lighter, or redesign (the current one looks fine IMO). Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

EDIT: Is there any chance that the iPad 4 will have an "improved" retina display. Like bumping up the PPI to iPhone 4 levels?

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Surely not.

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

No it won't. I'd go with the iPad 3, it's well worth it. And I know you said you don't care about any of those problems, but I'd though I will let you know that I have not experience any of them and neither have any of my friends who also own the new iPad :)

4. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

There will be no iPad 4 this year, and there are no rumors yet of new features. Most likely, the iPad 4 will be a spec bump.

You should buy the iPad 3 now.

-t

5. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

nothing new from what I have seen just a couple minor tweaks ... if you dont care about anything from your list then go grab the iPad 3 ...

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Most probably the next iPad will be a spec bump like RAM, CPU, camera etc. but the resolution will not be changed. Apple might release a smaller 7" iPad this year, you might want to wait for it. If you're decided on the 9.7" model, go ahead and get it as the next one is 8 months away.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing is confirmed.

8. ghellquist macrumors regular

Better to wait about 5 years

Why not wait about 5 years. Things will be much better than, and cheaper as well.
    Alternatively, carefully consider what your minimum specifications really are and buy a first generation iPad. It probably does about 85% of what you want to use the iPad for.

Or...

Well, get the iPad 3 now and get the new iPad when it comes.

Or...

// Gunnar

9. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Makes sense to wait for iPad-5. You should get iPad-5 :rolleyes:

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Assuming Apple's update schedule maintains then the next "new" iPad will probably have minor spec bumps. Maybe larger storage capacity? Along with some other odds/ends things. It'll be a little better than what's out now however probably not by much. The next "new, new" iPad will probably be something special. I'd say go ahead and buy the current one. You won't be disappointed.

11. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Get the iPad 3. The one after it really isn't even in rumors yet.

12. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

13. al0513 macrumors 6502

Get it now. Only "rumors" are the smaller iPad. Which if released, wont do anything to the larger iPad's price. (Maybe the older gens.)

14. k3roro macrumors 6502

They should really shed more light on this iPad Mini, I'm kind of holding off an iPad 3 purchase waiting for this thing.

15. hypnoz macrumors member

No point in waiting based on your criteria. The display will be the same until the 2014 iPad, I'm betting. The current display is jaw-dropping. I've said it before and I'll say it again, put a high res background picture on it and everytime you turn it on you'll be in awe. The stock Apple backround pics are horrendously bad.

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    [Emphasis supplied]

You answered your own question. Just do it.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

If the iPad is following the same pattern as the iPhone the next release will be more than a "spec bump". It should have a different external design in 2013 as the current one will be two years old come then....in other words, the iPad 2 and new iPad share the same design (only difference is the new iPad is a tad thicker than the previous one).

18. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

I bought mine 2 weeks ago!
    I say go for it, next ipad wil come in about 9 months so its no point waiting.
    Maybe ipad mini shows up but hats another category.
    So it depents how many inch you want..

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Do you have a previous generation iPad already? No?

Do you have a need for an iPad now, and want one now? Yes?

The longer you spend waiting, the less you're enjoying what iPad offers.

You could be hit by a bus tomorrow, live for the now.

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Nothing is confirmed, but I think the following are almost certain:

• Faster chips and performance
    • New "iPhone5-like" dock connector instead of obsolete dock connector
    • In a couple of years there will be a new iOS version that will work fully on the fourth iPad but not the third

I think the following are less than certain, but somewhat probable or likely:
    • Better battery life
    • Thinner
    • Lighter
    • Two sizes available

21. RealMadrid15 thread starter macrumors member

I'm 15 and I've learned it's polite to say thank you.

So thank you for your non sarcastic, kind, informative answer - I'm sure that many people look up to you. :)

----

And thank you to everyone else who replied. Based on the information you provided I've decided to buy the iPad 3 because I'm not that interested in any of the possible upgrades/features that may show up in the iPad 4.