Should I buy an iPad mini 1st gen for $100?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Jul 28, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My coworker is thinking of selling her 1st gen iPad mini for $100. I recently sold my MBP and just have a Mac mini so not having any portable devices (other than iPhone) is taking some getting used to. I think I now see the point of having a mini when just sitting around the living room or doing something in the kitchen.

My question is, is there anything I should be cautious about buying this version? Like slow performance or anything like that? Would the next gen be maybe just a little bit more? I'm usually reluctant buying used iDevices because I'm worried they've had a broken screen replaced with a cheap knock off. AFAIK, she's never had any issues with this one and takes pretty good care of her electronics.

2. c55 macrumors regular

c55

I have a first generation Mini, it's still a great device. Runs iOS 8.4 fine. Just one word of caution, the screen quality is awful. but I guess I'm spoiled with my iPad Mini 2 with Retina.

For $100 it's a good buy. I would personally spend $100 for a Mini 2 with Retina and the faster processor. But all you're looking for is a device to use leisurely, it should make the cut.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've never really thought of owning a mini so I don't know their going rates, but do you mean spend just $100 on the mini 2 or an extra $100 for a total of $200?

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm pretty sure @c55 means an additional $100 to get an iPad mini 2. $200 would be about right (not a great deal, not a terrible one) for the low end mini 2. $100 for a first gen, though? I could think of a ton of ways to use that productively. I say you go for it. Worst case, you should be able to recoup most/all of your costs if you don't like it.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Not worth it. The first gen mini hardware is equal to the iPad 2. Save your money and at least buy a Mini 2 Retina.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

At that price it's a tough choice, but waiting just a couple more weeks for iPad deals is probably the best option, considering the iPad Mini 2 will (most likely) be able to run at least 2 more versions of iOS than the iPad Mini 1, which is just about to be discontinued.

7. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

Having a friend with the first generation mini, I can say the current iOS runs smoothly; however, you'll find many problems using new apps or apps that have been updated recently. For example, the new Angry Birds 2 works great on my Mini 2, but on the first Mini it constantly crashes. This will occur more and more as apps progress. With iOS 9, I can't imaging how much slower these A5 devices will get. My advice, just invest in a Mini 2 if you can

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

$100 is a good price. They average $150-170 on ebay.
    It's still a good device. I have two that my kids use and they are fine.

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've noticed I'm not really using the mini as much as I used to use my MBP. I think it's because I'd rather not sit in an uncomfortable chair just to look up stuff on IMDb, although I guess I can use my iPhone.

She said it also comes with a magnetic case that puts it to sleep. I didn't ask the color.

I could also use it as an iBook reader. If it was more I'd definitely say no. Less I wouldn't think twice.