Should I buy an iPad now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by madmonkeys, Jul 22, 2011.

1. madmonkeys macrumors member

Like the title says I want to purchase the iPad 2 but how far away are we realistically from a new version or updated iPad2 as the rumors suggest some kind of iPad2 HD?

2. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Buy now....today. Waiting is for the insecure.:D

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Wait. The next one will be much better.

---------------------------------------
    Written on my Apple II

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

5. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have to ask other people to make a decision for you, then chances are you don't need one at all.

6. Illumination macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please drop the 'holier-than-thou' attitude. It's ridiculous and unnecessary.

Back on topic, I would get one now. You can always sell it when the next iPad drops.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The iPad will keep a yearly update cycle. Nothing will be released until next March or April.

8. interwebs macrumors member

The likelihood of an 'HD' model in the fall is very low. If it were to happen I'd tell you to wait for next year though, anyway, as a 4x resolution display really needs next gen (2012) hardware to deliver the complete package.

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

it is going to be a good while before :apple: releases their next iPad. The earlier you get it, the longer you get to enjoy it before you get that "Outdated" Feeling.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

The iPad 2 HD is a horrible rumor. They say that it will be an iPad 2 with a only an updated display. They will need to update the ram and processor for the iPad 2 so it can handle such a display. Which makes you think, they will just wait for the next iPad to update. The iPads refresh will continue to stay at the beginning of the year. If Apple wanted to change it, they would have done it last year.

11. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Very true, and with a much higher screen resolution comes more processing power via quad core, and those have not even been introduced yet.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

13. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

14. alljunks macrumors regular

just buy it..Apple release new product every year... you will be waiting forever!!!

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

i've never really understood this question. what are you waiting for?

even if apple came out with the ipad 3 in september, promised you that chicks would fall in love with you in order to get closer to the new shiny, and even threw in some unicorn dust, there'd be a line sanking out the door until christmas. good luck getting it. but, in a worst case scenario, you could just sell the ipad 2 and upgrade for a minor loss. think of it as renting the ipad for a few dollars a week.

anyhow, waiting for tech is silly. they'll be a much better new shiny coming out tomorrow, the day after that, the day after that, etc. i'm reading on my ipad right now. what are you doing :)

16. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Wait. iPad3 will be here by the end of the year.

17. Ranalot macrumors newbie

The smart money says if you can afford to wait a few weeks, what's the harm in waiting til September?

If you're impulsive, then go get one now.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because when nothing happens in September you can afford to wait until December. And when nothing happens in December you might as well wait until March/April for the realistic iPad3 release.

19. Ranalot macrumors newbie

September is less than 5 weeks away. ;)

Or if you've got cash to burn go for it!

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes and then there will be another rumored release six or seven weeks after that. The point is that if you believe all the rumors there is never a good time to buy unless you get it on launch day.

21. Ranalot macrumors newbie

Well not really. If September comes without any new iPad, then the next scheduled refresh is back to normal. And it won't be shorter than a few weeks.

I'd say a few weeks is justifiable to wait. A few months is not.

What's your threshold, an hour? So you'd go to Apple the day before a new product launches to buy the old product?

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The smart money is not to buy any tech at all, open up a book, and read.

I don't see how waiting until September fro a product that may or may not come out, and one that you may or may not buy (what if it is only a marginally better screen and it is priced much higher?) is smart at all. My goodness, it's not like apple or rumor mongerers have suggested in any way that there is a possibility of a radically redesigned model of anything coming out in September.

23. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This September rumor is relatively new, previously the rumors said November or December, but since I don't believe the iPad3 will be out until next year I'd buy now.

25. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

How is this "holier-than-thou"? It's a legitimate point. Why ask complete strangers on the internet for their opinion on whether or not you should make a personal purchase? It's ridiculous and absurd.