Should I buy an iPad now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnymorris, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jonnymorris macrumors member

I can't seem to find iPad in the buyer's guide, but regardless of that would it really be worth waiting for the next update of the iPad? I don't own one and to be honest don't really know exactly what to expect from one (other than from the quick play I've had on one in a shop, and the blurb on the Apple website). I doubt I will watch movies on it, it's more likely to replace my MacBook as an around-the-house web browser initially, and I quite like the idea of reading books and comics on it. It would be really nice to use it for Skype, is it possible to attach a webcam to it for live video in Skype?

I just don't want to be waiting around and paying more for new features I might not be interested in. I would keep my MacBook for general computing.

Also, does anyone know if there's a really good astronomy program for iPad? I like Stellarium, something that I can use out by the telescope (so dark-skies friendly display colours is a must).

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, you can't attach a video cam to the iPad for Skype. If you are interested in video chat, you are better off waiting for the next gen iPad, which is almost certain to have cameras and FaceTime built in. If Apple sticks to its regular product update cycle of updating once a year, the new iPads should arrive around late March / early April.

3. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Night Spring. I had read that rumour about a built-in cam but you know, rumours are rumours. :)

Might not be in a position to buy until April anyway, so could work out quite well.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I picked up a couple of iPads today for the family. So you should wait a little bit more since they are probably coming soon now ;)

5. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Certainly cant go wrong with waiting for an iPad 2, but if you're main use is surfing the web, watching movies, and playing games then buy now.

From what I've read the new iPad may cost a bit more than the current models.

7. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I think a lot of this choice is up to you, do you want the rumored features are can you deal without as simple as that. if you need the rumored features then you wait. Not trying to be a jerk its that simple

8. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

The currebt ipad is good enough and will surve your purposes perfectly. The next ipad will have some of the features but it will cost more

9. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, well I don't expect Mr Jobs to release iPad from iTunes, if anything it's likely to become even more of a closed system (when it comes to file management etc) since Jobs is keen to push this idea down to the Macs as well now. The only thing I might miss would be a camera for *very* occasional video Skype calls, and I can do that just as easily on my MacBook or iMac.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if you buy one now, you could sell it later once the ipad2 comes out.

11. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

One consideration might be the jailbreak situation. While I'm not interested in doing that myself, things like the early PSP are in high demand because they can still be broken, where as Sony have stopped this on later models. I imagine the same might happen with the iPad, jailbreaking might become impossible on the new iOS, making first-gen iPads worth a lot to the right people.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't believe Apple wants Jail braking to stop.

I think they may "Officially" and "Publicly" say they don't like it, and appear to do things to stop it. But I feel really they are happy for it to continue as it allows them to make sales to people who otherwise would not buy their product.

If they really wanted to stop it then they would do all they can to disable iPads that appeared on the system. A bit like what Msoft do with the 360's that are hacked.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They certainly can make it harder by encrypting the bootloader. Motorola did this with the droid x phone.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Block access to iTunes when the Jail broken iPad appeared on the system. Making the iPad have little resale value.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nah, they wouldn't do that. Anyone remember the outrage when the first iPhone update bricked jailbroken iPhones? Ever since then, no firmware update has bricked iDevices, just unjailbroke them.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's many ways to prevent jail breaking, but apple is taking the light hand approach. They do seem to be making it harder, by closing off the holes that jail breakers exploit but apple doesn't seem aggressive in cutting off access or employing encryption.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

DISCLAIMER: You're essentially asking us to play chess with God (i.e., predict the future). Or give you our opinions on unfettered guesses, speculations and gossip.

Speculating that apple will engage in a yearly product development cycle like the iPhone, it makes sense that a new model will be released in the next couple of months. IMO, cameras for facetime and more ram are relatively sure bets, not sure about the rest of it.

There's a :censored:-ton of articles about the current iPad readily available and what it can and cannot do. Based upon them, and your current tech needs and existing equipment, does v1 do something that you truly need? If the research shows that it has a feature or app that can critically help you with something that you really need or have to do, then go for it. (But if THAT'S the case, I suspect you'd have one already.)

Assuming that you haven't had a "OMG! Lookit that!" moment about the v1, you essentially have two choices:

1. Get a v1 for the cheapest price you can now to mitigate your losses (and not feel like a total schmuck) if Apple releases a new model that you realize you cannot live without. Buy a refurbed from the online apple store for a paltry discount, or find one on Craigslist, preferably with extended applecare included.

2. Soldier on with the equipment you've already got, and wait for the v2, hoping it will be within a few months. This has an added benefit of allowing you to buy a used or refurbed v1 for an even cheaper price if the v2 doesn't have a feature that you cannot live without.

No easy answers here, sorry. Good luck with your decision.

18. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

Um.. yeah. That's why I'm asking here and not on the Apple forums (where my post would no doubt be deleted for speculating). This is MacRumors after all, isn't it? :D

Either way, it looks like I can't really lose anything but a little hands-on time with an iPad by waiting a couple of months.

Personally I don't believe an iPad is a must-have for most people, it's a convenience device more than anything, replacing a small set of common functions of a laptop or desktop.

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

No, don't get one now, you'll be hitting yourself in 3 months.

20. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Get one now and sell it before the 2 comes out. Its still months away

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I think I'll do. The advantage as I see it is that if the iPad 2 doesn't have the specs that I want, I can keep the iPad 1 otherwise I can sell the iPad 1 to offset the cost

22. jonnymorris thread starter macrumors member

On the other hand there's likely to be a few refurbished units appearing on the Apple Store website once the new model is released, and in my experience Apple refurbs are as good as new anyway and should cost considerably less than a new one.

23. toromac macrumors member

toromac

ok, so let's say I sell my 32gb ipad now compared to after ipad 2 launch. How much will my loss be? I'm willing to take a $100 hit by waiting. If it is more than $100 I would rather sell now.

My guess is I could sell my 32gb wifi ipad for at least about $450 or at least $400.

I assume if I waited, I'd be able to sell it for about $350 or at the very least $300.

What do you all think?