Should I buy an iPad or an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by groschi, Mar 24, 2011.

1. groschi macrumors newbie

Ok folks here's the deal

I wanna buy an iPad but I'm not sure which generation. I didn't have the chance to play with the iPad 2 yet, so I do not know much about it in terms of speed. But I know what I wanna do with it. I wanna use it in class for some notes, watch videos, listen to some music, show my pictures to friends and family, and occasionally play a game or two. I do not need a camera because I already have an iPhone 4.

Is the iPad 2 worth the extra money right now for my purposes or I am good going with a first generation device? My options would be a 32GB iPad 2 or a 64GB iPad 1

hope anybody has updated his/her iPad and can give me some advice.

Appreciate it!

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

i have the ipad 1 and there's nothing wrong about it but now when you have the choice i'd say go for the ipad2. the speeds is incredible and the smartcover is very cool. and $100 more for the upgrades is definitely worth it

3. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think ipad 2 is better because eventually their will be games/apps that wont work on first gen ipad.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

5. DiamondMac, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Do you play a lot of games? Get an iPad 2
    Do you WANT the newest thing? Get an iPad 2

Do you just check new/email? Get an iPad 1

Now, the difference in price from an iPad 1 64gb and an iPad 2 16gb is not substantial so maybe just get the iPad 2 16gb if you want that. But if you want the 16gb iPad 1, I would get it in a heartbeat

Others may have different ideas on what to think if contemplating a 1 or 2. This is just how I think about them both.

6. Axiem macrumors member

Also keep in mind that if you plan on keeping your iPad for a while before upgrading, the iPad 2 would probably be the better choice. The iOS updates from Apple will continue a little longer (based on their past behavior), and the hardware won't be as obsolete as quickly.

This is basically why I'm getting a 2 instead of a 1, even though I know a 1 would fit my needs just as well in general.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As a day-1 iPad 1 owner, I suggest that if you have to buy one now, then get an iPad 1. If you can wait a few months, then get an iPad 2. Why? Because the iPad1's build quality is proven. The iPad2 already has a few manufacturing glitches... not necessarily a show-stopper but enough of a problem that (given inventory shortages) it is worth considering. These issues should be ironed out within the next few months.

Obviously if you need the features that are unique to the iPad2 (ie. cameras) then you don't have a choice.

I plan to eventually upgrade to an iPad2, but not for another few months at the very least.

As for getting the newer model to help stay more current with iOS, I believe that each generation of iPad will experience more hardware changes than iPods and iPhones have experienced... resulting in greater cross-generation incompatibility... so it won't really matter. No matter which gen you buy, you'll not be able to fully exploit the next version of iOS. (in my opinion anyways)

8. rirawin macrumors regular

I brought a Ipad 1 and it arrived today, I love it but I'm selling it only after using it for a few hours. The reason why despite buying atomic browser is that the bleedin reload page thing is frustratingly kills the browsing experience for me. I just cannot live that, don't care for graphics but the constant refresh is a major negative.

9. tremlock, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

The wife just bought me a 1st gen 16Gb w/3G. Totally happy with it. I already have an iPhone 4 so the cameras on the iPad 2 really don't mean anything to me. Really enjoying the iPad. I'm sure the iPad 2 is nice but I can't see paying the extra money on features that really aren't necessary for me.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If the specs of the v1 meet your expected needs, and you can get one for a good enough discount, get that.

Otherwise, IMHO, the paltry $100 apple discount does not justify getting that over the new model. The improved speed/performance, form factor and other features make it a more enjoyable experience over the v1.

Is it just me, or is anyone else really enjoying the new smart cover? A couple of days of just opening the front and having it instantly come one makes turning on the v1 seem laborious....

11. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 1st gen iPad, 64gb+3G for $529 at AT&T. That's a $300 difference in price for two crappy cameras, some RAM, the ability to use smart covers, and half a pound. Worth it to me. It i didn't have my iPhone already, I'd probably feel differently. I'm loving my new-to-me iPad. I'll reevaluate when iPad 3 comes out.

12. Zeos macrumors 6502

iPad 2. All apps will start being designed for the faster processor, which will make iPad 1 a dog within a year.

13. rtztgue macrumors regular

I was in the same boat. Just picked up the iPad 1for $299 at Verizon. At $200 savings I decided to try it since I was thinking of getting two anyway. For my use, I am going to cancel my iPad 2 order and get another gen 1. I don't play many games and my usage will be for Internet, reading, maybe mail. No music and only movies on long trips. I figure this will get me by till iPad 3 with retinal display more ram etc. I also have the ip4. So I know I don't like FaceTime. My music is on the ip4 for when I run or dock it with my car etc.

Anyway. After having the iPad 1 for a day, I like it. I am planning on putting another iPad on hold at Verizon then taking this iPad into an apple store so I can compare side by side. That will be my ultimate test of whether I cancel my iPad 2 order and pickup the one from Verizon.

14. minimac macrumors member

Same here, I just posted something very similar in the Verizon discount thread. I'm curious to know what you decide! I ended up getting a 16GB and a 32GB for me and my wife. I'll probably end up canceling my iPad2 order. I'll also be ready to upgrade from my 3GS to the iPhone5 this summer so I'll still have a 'brand new' toy to play with.

15. King Ahab macrumors newbie

Sincere thanks to the folks in this forum. The Verizon tip led to my buying a iPad 1, 32gb from a local Verizon store for $399 (16gb was out and other stores in my area had none either). The savings over iPad 2 price, had I been able to find one, will go toward an upgrade when iPad 3 comes out if improved resolution is part of iPad 3. Would have liked to get an iPad 2 but it wasn't meant to be and iPad 1 works fine for what I will use it for.

16. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I have both for now and find that the iPad2 does nothing I need that the iPad 1 could not. I don't need the cameras, hardly play games.
    Video watching, web browsing and email feel the same.

If I was buying, I would get the 2 anyway - slightly thinner.

17. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I also had both. I didn't really notice a speed difference at first, but after using the iPad 2 for a while and then going back to the iPad 1 for something... the speed difference is actually quite large.

I'd say get the iPad 2 if you can. Functionally it is not much different unless you want the cameras or to play graphics-intensive games. But the experience on the iPad 2 is better thanks to the increased speed.

18. ravenas macrumors regular

My only concern for you would be the storage space. When I had my 32GB iPad1, I was transferring a lot of videos on it. That ate up space like crazy. I couldn't store my entire music library AND all those videos. My solution was to keep syncing and swapping files. Got very tedious.

I did order an iPad2, because I have a desire to make use of the Skype Video Chat. Plus it gave me the opportunity to upgrade to a 64GB model (doubling my storage space) and bequeath my 32GB to my brother (who is tablet-less otherwise).

Build-quality the iPad1 is a solid instrument. It and its younger sister both do feel a bit heavy because of the metal backing. Compared to the Xoom and Galaxy Tab (both with plastic cases) the iPad gets a bit heavy in the hands. The iPad2 also has a slightly sharp feel to it while iPad1 feels more like a large brick. Speedwise and performance, I never noticed a huge difference from the store models. The iPad1 never seemed particularly slow to me.

Price-wise the iPad1 is a better deal right now. Especially if all you're going to do is browsing, notes and movie watching. There are plenty of games that run very well on the iPad1. I don't see it being outdated for a couple years.

I think if it came down to the price vs storage choice, I'd go for storage. In fact, I kinda regret going for the more expensive 64GB iPad2 when I could have paid far less and got a 3G 64GB version in iPad1.

19. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Between the two, I wanted an iPad 1 mainly due to price (and waiting for the iPad 3 if/when it has a high res display). I eventually picked up a Verizon 16gb wifi for $299 yesterday. The $220 price difference (after taxes) was too big for me to want an iPad 2. I had actually been searching for a used iPad1 on craigslist for around 300 but couldn't find one. :rolleyes::p

20. King Ahab macrumors newbie

That's mostly what happened to me except I picked up the iPad 1 32gb because Verizon was out of the 16 gb model. Manager at the store I bought from told me they sold 26 iPad 1's yesterday after the announced price drop. I'm happy and looking forward to enjoying this for a year or two until the iPad 3 or 4, whichever has the features I really want, comes out. Then mom will inherit my iPad 1 for browsing, email and some light video and audio usage.

Craigslist and Ebay were too pricey for me as well. :eek:

21. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

What OS does the iPad have?

22. aldo82 macrumors regular

Windows 98

23. courteous macrumors newbie

What about reading scanned PDFs?

I recently tried out 1st gen iPad with a plethora of PDFs (some were scanned). Unfortunately, reading the scanned PDFs really "stressed" the device. :(

Two Q for those that already have 2nd gen:
    1. are there any "lags" on iPad 2 when reading (complicated) PDFs?
    2. and, is the "empty square-pattern" (lack of cache?) mostly gone on iPad 2?

In my local area, there is about $150 difference between the generations ... I only care for (smooth) reading PDFs, so I still can't decide which gen to go for.

24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

If you had asked me that question a few days after I got my new iPad, I would have recommended you buy the new one for sure. However, with the prices falling on the first gen like they have, the first gen is a great deal. I'd you go with AT&T you can save as much as $300! That's an amazing deal for a great product!

25. macsolo macrumors newbie

:D:D:D:D:D

......still