Should I buy an iPad through Apple Education?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by amcamille, Dec 18, 2012.

1. amcamille macrumors newbie

Hi, my school sells apple products in their bookstore and i've been considering getting an ipad through them because it's simple enough and I have to buy textbooks From them anyway lol My roommate just bought the new 4th gen from them and they made her sign some sort of release verifying she was a Student, blah blah..but it also said "I am not purchasing this product for resale" And even wrote down The serial and model number! Now of course she plans to use hers, probably for life lol But I like to upgrade mine when new versions are released and I sell my old ones, once on ebay, the other time on craigslist...but what is this clause about? Are they saying if I buy from them, I'm stuck with that ipad 4 for life? What is the point of keeping track of the one I bought, can they tell if it's been Sold later? I just don't want to buy one there if I won't be able to upgrade it myself later...it's my money and my ipad, you know? Anyone have experience or info on this? Sorry for the long post! :)

2. Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

The resale clause is generally to prevent instant resale. As far as I know you are only obligated to hold on to the product for a term of 1 (possibly 2) years and then can sell it. This is to prevent people using their student discount and then turning around and selling it for market value to make a profit.

Also, them taking down the serial number was more than likely to activate the manufacturers warranty, not to keep track of it. No company is going to bother tracking every item sold through every channel, it would be ridiculously expensive.

3. JamesMyCQs macrumors newbie

Yeah what Pyromonkey said sounds about right - Apple won't want people buying them 'for other people' which is probably why they put the clause in (how effective it actually is is another thing!) but they can't control the 'second hand market' if people want to sell a device further down the line. The only form of control I could see them having is if someone bought it under the education programme then sold it to someone, then the new owner wanted to replace it under warrantee: they could probably check in that case.

Go for it!

4. VABuckeye macrumors newbie

The "for resale" clause is for retail sales. You can't buy them at a discount and then charge full price AND sales tax as a vendor.