Should I buy an iPhone 3GS now or wait for next generation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hellhammer, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, I have decided to buy an iPhone and I'm having birthday in few weeks, so I thought about asking it as a present from my parents. Now, I see there's this one rumor about the unreleased iPhone, which got me scared because I don't want to buy something if it gets updated in few months.

Did the earliest rumors about iPhone 3GS come about the same time as the latest one? If there won't be an update before June I will go on and ask it from my parents.

My usage is quite normal, so mainly just calling and SMS so I don't need anything special and I just bough a nice camera so iPhone's camera won't be needed very much.

Oh, and there's a promo going on here in Finland which ends tomorrow that buyer of an iPhone gets a free iPod Shuffle with it. I'm no so interested about it as I have Nano but I could sell it for ~60€ which would bring the price of the iPhone down a little bit.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

except for Exchange 2007 SP1 update 4, video and one or two other features there is nothing in the app store that requires a 3GS. most games still work on 1st gen hardware

3. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, in your opinion, I should get the 8GB 3G or used 16GB 3G rather than a new 16GB GS?

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

no you get a 32GB 3GS. if you look at the total cost over 2 years it's only $100 or $150 more for a 32GB 3GS. and you will get a lot more for it when you sell it and get a new iphone or another cell phone.

not like AT&T or Apple will give you a break on the monthly charges for a lower end model

5. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Don't get anything yet.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. There will be a new iPhone out come summertime, and you WILL want whatever improvements it may have, which I suspect will be numerous.

6. odog402 macrumors member

I personally went and bought the 3gs on the fact that I did not want to wait 7-8 months for an iphone.

7. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

7-8 months before the US launch, and who knows when Finland would get it? Buy now.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, get it now.

9. knewsom macrumors 6502a

New products are taking less and less time to be sold in other countries than the US, but being in Finland will probably add a few months to when you'll be able to get a new iPhone. Certainly something to consider.

10. iSpud macrumors member

Buying or waiting is the dilemma my wife and I have. Our contract w/ Verizon runs out in January...should we buy the 3gs or wait til summer? It's the age old question of jump in and start the upgrade cycle or wait for the latest and greatest.

11. nigameash macrumors 6502

I decided to wait as getting a new phone aint a priority for me and I wanna get the iphone as my next phone and I want it as soon as it launches! So I'd rather wait than buy it only to find out that its outdated in 6 months :p But again most apple products are outdated in 6 months :p except perhaps the iphone unless they decide to bump up the capacity of it in dec or jan next year!

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you are going to be waiting until July 2010 at least

If I wanted a phone now, 8 months off is pretty far.

13. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Good points. And if it's unleashed in June it won't be available before July/August anyway and Finland's reseller Sonera screwed up with 3GS. It took up to 3 months for pre-orderers to get theirs' and delivery time was ~12 weeks about a month ago.

So, I'm getting it now because I don't want to wait a year (which would be quite accurate time for Finland release/delivery :p)

14. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Decided to act and bought 16GB 3GS yesterday. Absolutely amazing phone! Just have to wait for my operator to activate my mobile phone subscriber connection

15. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

Congratulations on you new iPhone.