Should I buy an iPhone 3GS now or wait for next generation?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So, I have decided to buy an iPhone and I'm having birthday in few weeks, so I thought about asking it as a present from my parents. Now, I see there's this one rumor about the unreleased iPhone, which got me scared because I don't want to buy something if it gets updated in few months.

Did the earliest rumors about iPhone 3GS come about the same time as the latest one? If there won't be an update before June I will go on and ask it from my parents.

My usage is quite normal, so mainly just calling and SMS so I don't need anything special and I just bough a nice camera so iPhone's camera won't be needed very much.

Oh, and there's a promo going on here in Finland which ends tomorrow that buyer of an iPhone gets a free iPod Shuffle with it. I'm no so interested about it as I have Nano but I could sell it for ~60€ which would bring the price of the iPhone down a little bit.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
except for Exchange 2007 SP1 update 4, video and one or two other features there is nothing in the app store that requires a 3GS. most games still work on 1st gen hardware

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
except for Exchange 2007 SP1 update 4, video and one or two other features there is nothing in the app store that requires a 3GS. most games still work on 1st gen hardware
So, in your opinion, I should get the 8GB 3G or used 16GB 3G rather than a new 16GB GS?

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
no you get a 32GB 3GS. if you look at the total cost over 2 years it's only $100 or $150 more for a 32GB 3GS. and you will get a lot more for it when you sell it and get a new iphone or another cell phone.

not like AT&T or Apple will give you a break on the monthly charges for a lower end model

Comment

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Don't get anything yet.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. There will be a new iPhone out come summertime, and you WILL want whatever improvements it may have, which I suspect will be numerous.

Comment

odog402

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
I personally went and bought the 3gs on the fact that I did not want to wait 7-8 months for an iphone.

Comment

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. There will be a new iPhone out come summertime, and you WILL want whatever improvements it may have, which I suspect will be numerous.
7-8 months before the US launch, and who knows when Finland would get it? Buy now.

Comment

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
New products are taking less and less time to be sold in other countries than the US, but being in Finland will probably add a few months to when you'll be able to get a new iPhone. Certainly something to consider.

Comment

iSpud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Buying or waiting is the dilemma my wife and I have. Our contract w/ Verizon runs out in January...should we buy the 3gs or wait til summer? It's the age old question of jump in and start the upgrade cycle or wait for the latest and greatest.

Comment

nigameash

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I decided to wait as getting a new phone aint a priority for me and I wanna get the iphone as my next phone and I want it as soon as it launches! So I'd rather wait than buy it only to find out that its outdated in 6 months :p But again most apple products are outdated in 6 months :p except perhaps the iphone unless they decide to bump up the capacity of it in dec or jan next year!

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
7-8 months before the US launch, and who knows when Finland would get it? Buy now.
New products are taking less and less time to be sold in other countries than the US, but being in Finland will probably add a few months to when you'll be able to get a new iPhone. Certainly something to consider.
Good points. And if it's unleashed in June it won't be available before July/August anyway and Finland's reseller Sonera screwed up with 3GS. It took up to 3 months for pre-orderers to get theirs' and delivery time was ~12 weeks about a month ago.

So, I'm getting it now because I don't want to wait a year (which would be quite accurate time for Finland release/delivery :p)

Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Decided to act and bought 16GB 3GS yesterday. Absolutely amazing phone! Just have to wait for my operator to activate my mobile phone subscriber connection

Comment