Should i buy an iPhone 3GS ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by green9206, Sep 14, 2014.

1. green9206 macrumors member

green9206

I am a student and i have never owned any Apple device but i want to experience the Apple ecosystem so am considering a used iPhone 3GS as a sort of first Apple device i use.I do have a Lumia 520 so i just wanted to know is it still ok to get a used 3GS just for basic use and to experience what iOS is all about ?
    Also it would be helpful to know what must i look for while buying a used iPhone so i don't get a faulty unit.Thanks and if i like it, my next phone would probably be a used iPhone 4S but right now am a bit short on cash so should i get a 3GS ?

2. uchosen macrumors 6502

3GS is a fine choice if you are strapped for cash but be aware that a lot of the features of the latest iOS are not supported.

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

In my opinion, I don't think you will get the best experience of iOS with one of those older devices. I would consider an iPhone 5 or later and if you want the smaller screen then the one I would recommend is a 4s minimum.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You are not going to get the best experience on a 3GS. He the latest device you can afford, OP.

5. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

I would go for an iPhone 4 if you're going to go down this road. You'll have a better experience in getting familiar with the iOS platform this way.

6. ARSC macrumors 6502

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

3GS is very slow. Can't you get a free 5c on most carriers starting Friday.

8. Ayr macrumors 6502

I'll sell you one for £30 if you're in the UK. Wifi on it don't work right. Otherwise fine.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Rather naive comment. It is not free. You still have to pay for service and data.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4s is as low as I would go. I'd recommend a used 5. Plenty of those coming up,for sale shortly.

11. bueller1 macrumors 6502

How much does a used 3GS go for

12. green9206 thread starter macrumors member

green9206

Hmm 3GS 8GB is $50, 4 is $150 and 4S is $250 so do you think the extra cost for newer models are worth it? I will only use it for calling,texting and maybe some apps and little web browsing.

13. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Agreed, 3GS isn't really worth it, 4 is alright but compared to the 4S it's pretty slow - only good if you're literally planning on using it just as phone for calling and texting.

I'd definitely try and get the 5 if you could.

14. jrana macrumors newbie

I would love to have 3gs any day .. being my first i device.

If cost is the constrain , you can have it , use it and later may be sell it off .

I still have my 3gs and working awesome , been like 4-5 years.. Not even a single issue ever faced ..

You can get 3gs for 30$ or so in ebay .. just try your luck .. try to buy from good seller ( better rating)

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, a good 3GS will run $80+. Anything less and you'll be getting crap.

Are you not able to get a subsidized phone? I missed that part.

16. Cryates macrumors 65816

A phone from 2009 is not going to give you a good experience of iOS. I mean, really?

17. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

The cutoff point for iOS 8 is the 4S, 4 won't do it apparently. Just a thought, it probably won't run it very well though.

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

BS. I got a perfect condition 3GS on ebay maybe 6 months ago for like $40. It's my grandma's first iPhone now. :D

As for the OP, remember, the 3GS supports up to iOS 6, which is no longer representative of the modern iOS experience. It's an obsolete device. It's 5 years old for god's sake. Come on, dude.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Depending on finances. I'd at least try to get a 4S

20. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

It's awesome to know that you're wanting to start with iPhone, but Apple are constantly updating both their hardware and their software.

For me, Apple gets it right when it's software works perfectly, and we're lucky enough that iPhone can get the latest iOS for many years.

But, if it can be helped; try not to get the 3GS buddy, the device itself is over 5 years old.

iOS 8 will launch in a few days, and the 4S will be compatible.

But if that's out of your price range, you could get an iPhone 4, and still run iOS 7 on it, and only miss out on a few new features.

My bet, iPhone 4. iOS 7.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OP, lots of comments here, but I will just state my experience.

I got my sister's 3GS in December 2011 as a Christmas present. It was not my primary phone and I am not on AT&T, but my point in getting it from here was exactly the same as yours.

At the time it was iOS 5. And it was a very good introduction to iOS. I however, had to find workarounds for using the device as a phone (a secondary phone). Talkatone allowed me to use a GV number to actually make calls and text without having to force anyone else to use an iPhone or an iPhone app. iMessages covered me as well.

iOS 6 came out and I also got my iPhone 5 at the time. But the 3GS had prepared me for what I could expect. Now, the 3GS can only run iOS 6. That'll make it two versions out of date when iOS 8 releases. However, being on iOS 7 after trying very hard to stay on iOS 6, other than a few things, it is my own personal opinion that iOS 7 sucks eggs. iOS 8 may be better.

In any case, from a basics perspective, not much has changed over iOS 5, 6 and 7. Sure, new features have been added, but the basics are the same.

It's my opinion that when you upgrade you may appreciate the additional features after having learned the basics. It also might have you appreciating the simplicity of the basics as well.

I get where a lot of commenters here in this thread are stating that the 3GS is not good for todays modern times, but really, if all you are doing is basic stuff, you don't need things like Airdrop, Touch ID, so on and so on. Calls, texts and browsing will still work on a 3GS just fine. In fact, that 3GS I had, I gave it to a friend who needed a phone a few months ago. He's using it as his primary phone and it's worked flawlessly for him since.

Just my two cents.

22. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Since you already have a phone, why not look at a newer iPod touch? You will get a newer device for less money than a same-generation iPhone and it will let you play around with iOS and iOS apps.

23. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Why would anyone want to use a 2009 phone in 2014 going in to 2015? Not too mention, it only supports iOS 6, and even that is limited, e.g. maps. If money is an issue, he should consider the 4S on contract, as its now FREE.

Seems like nobody remembered the fact that the 3GS has been discontinued since September 2012.

24. Ayr macrumors 6502

To make calls.

I'm using the original iPhone at the moment.

25. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Then a flip phone should suffice quite nicely then.