Should I buy an iPhone 4 now or wait for the next gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guest1000, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Guest1000 macrumors newbie

I really want to buy an iPhone (I currently have a Nokia N95).

Should I buy one this week or wait until next year when the next gen is released?

What is your opinion?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Do you really want an iPhone now, or next summer?

Others will argue, but I found the upgrade from 3G to 3GS was not enough for me to make the jump (number of newer features) so I still have a 3G but will be upgrading to 4 soon. I'm actually happy enough with my 3G that I might just wait until summer myself...although the HD video is really tempting.

So it really boils down to how bad you want one. If you wait until the summer, you'll have a few more features, but I am guessing nothing as big as the recent jump (HD video, retina display...etc).

PS: Get ready for a lot of hate in this thread. :(

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I've seen tons of these threads lately. Why does no one have their own brain they can use?

If you wait till the next gen. and you don't like it you'll always be waiting. If you want an iPhone now get it and enjoy it.

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I would wait. There is more competition in mobile devices lately than ever before. With the iPhone dropping on Verizon (I think it is going to happen in 2011), my guess is that Apple is going to make a serious push to reclaim some growth and market share from the onslaught of Android devices.

They have to. Its starting to get ridiculous... not only is Android growing faster than they are at the high end, but now a slew of mid-range and low end Android phones are coming out this quarter (including a water-proof, shock proof motorola touch screen that I have my eye on).

I doubt that iOS will ever compete at the low end or mid-range, so they need to push pretty hard to give new users a reason to consider their phones.

Among my friends who have gotten new devices in the past year, 2/3 of them have gotten android phones while 1/3 have gotten iPhones. Only one of the people on AT&T did NOT get an iPhone.... so basically the 1/3 of my friends who have AT&T all got an iPhone whereas none of the other friends wanted to leave their providers.

They need availability on all carriers. Android, blackberry, and even WebOS are available on more carriers than iOS

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Yea, wait. But then I heard the iPhone 6 is going to be the best of them all. It will be here in about 18 months. In the meantime you can get by with 2 tin cans and a string. No contract, no battery problems. :cool:

6. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If you do get an iphone now, then DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT.

There are just waaaaaaaaaaaay too many great phones out and coming out in the next year to get tied down.

If you must sign a contract then sign up for a year. No more than that. After one year I guarantee that you'll start lusting after some new device that someone else has.

7. SR2 macrumors regular

Don't you know? Apple fans all share the same brain.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

It comes down to how badly do you want an iPhone now. This is like folks who ask if they should go 16GB or 32GB. Only you can answer it yourself.

If you wait for next year's gen, I just don't see a major upgrade for the iPhone 5 and there could be alot of great phones to make the decision even harder. But since you mentioned you have a N95, I believe you can afford to wait as well as long as the phone still works and serving you well.

9. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I don't know about you, but I'm waiting for the iPhone 12, rumored to be released the last day of June, 2018. Word from my sources is that it will contain a cold fusion reactor that can be used to power your house, car, and boat.

10. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I went from 3g to 3gs to 4. If I had to do it again I would have waited. My 3gs worked great as a phone but the camera was not as good. To me the 3gs was a better phone and the 4 has been a real let down. It's okay but not worth switching from 3gs.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

See, and I totally disagree with this^ which is why it's hard for any of us to put ourselves in your place.
    I have had no issues with my iPhone 4 and for me, it's a HUGE advantage over previous phones. But others (as posted above) disagree. I'm not "right", Lamonster's not "wrong"...we just have a different perspective.
    Do you have the $$? Do you need a new phone? Can you afford to upgrade again when the next generation comes out if it turns out to be a significant enough upgrade? etc
    And I DO agree with those who say if you wait, why not wait till iPhone 16, which a reliable source has told me will have intergalactic, holographic communication mode? There's always something better coming in the next generation...

12. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

13. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tape a disposable camera to that and Ur all set!

14. Reefbone macrumors regular

I hope this is helpful and not just being a prick BUT... if you click 'Advanced' on the search feature you can search just the thread titles. I find it helpful when searching for relevant topics. This one really has been beaten into the ground.

15. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

how about you use your own brain

apple releases a phone every June/July

/lock this thread

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple said this iPhone was the biggest leap forward since original iPhone.

Retina Display
    New Design
    HD recording
    Flash
    Camera
    Gyroscope

I thought these were good enough for me to go from 3G to 4. I skipped 3GS.

17. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

This.

If you like the iPhone buy it. No point waiting for the next gen.

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

See, I agree too. I didn't upgarde to 3GS either...didn't seem like enough changes for me to make it worthwhile. The 4 additions do.

To each his or her own.

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

20. pbateman macrumors 6502

How's the cell reception where you live?
    I will most likely keep my 3G until the next one comes out. I got the Iphone 4 but unfortunately where I work the reception is pretty bad and the Iphone4 kept dropping the calls so I went back to my 3G.
    I must say had that not been an issue I'd still be carrying it, it is a big improvement otherwise over my 3G

21. TheAllStar macrumors member

TheAllStar

Of course, you will also be able to activate voice calls and video chat with mind waves. "We call it... BrainTime, and... look at this... isn't this amazing? It's magical."

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Buy it now and experience all the cool features the iphone 4 has to offer.

You already missed out close to 4 months now, might as well start the experience now. :D

If you would want to buy the iphone 5 in 2011, then make sure you take good care of the iphone 4 so the resale value stays high.

my 2 cents

23. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Just two more months until 2011 when iPhone hits Verizon, man!