Should I buy an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skik210, Aug 28, 2008.

?

Should I buy an iphone

1. yes

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. skik210 macrumors member

I'm a frequent visitor here and have seen all sorts of mixed reviews about the new iPhone and 2.0. So I'm simply asking if I should buy one or not.

2. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Yes

3. becstar77 macrumors newbie

It depends...

... what you want your phone for! I enjoy synchronicity with my MBP, the ease of AppStore for extras, the novel way of texting and Visual Voicemail... but I didn't want to go to o2, and I'm not sure it will suit everyone - the size (I think of it as a small computer, but my friend loved it but felt it was too big to just be considered a phone.)

My advice is go into the shop, and have a play - if you can't resist it, get it. I absolutely love mine and I've been selling it to everyone I meet!!!!

4. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

I said no. LOL

I think you should go to the Apple store and play with it. Or maybe if you have a friend that would allow you to pry it from their grip, try it out. I seems to work in a lil differently in some areas.

I heart my iPhone. With the bugs, crashes and mysterious cracks (white iphone), I havent found another phone I love playing with as much as this one.

Good luck with your decision :)

5. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

We need more information before we can say anything useful.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What phone are you using now?
    What iPod/media device are you using now?
    What computer/OS are you using now?

The answers to these questions will help us answer better.

7. DrFillster macrumors member

absolutely! Just realize it is not entirely stable (yet)

Can't live without it.

8. zentraedi macrumors member

If you want it as a toy to play with, sure go ahead.

If plan to use it as your primary phone, wait at least until 2.1. There are just too many issues with crashing, syncing and downtime.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yes. You should also have soup for lunch. And tomorrow, ham.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I think the poll will be a bit skewed. You are asking this question on an iPhone enthusiast site.

I guarantee that most of the replies will be yes.

Also, current iPhone users tend to drink the Apple cool-aid (including me :) ) skewing the results even more.

You might want to also ask this question in an off-topic area on another type of site to see the difference in your results.

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I voted no because it's an unfinished product. I've had nothing but trouble since getting it and am hating every second with the thing.

I had an iPod touch which was running version 1.14 software which was fine and since getting the 3G with V2 it's been nothing but trouble. My touch was also afflicted with the crappiness which is version 2.0.

If you like laggy ui & application crashes, poor signal* and new exciting issues then go for it! :cool:

*Signal issues can be attributed to the network so that isn't Apple's fault entirely.

12. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

+1

Check out cnet.com or pcworld. They seem to be pretty helpful. And they seem to be pretty unbiased.

13. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

are you asking because you're thinking of waiting for something better?

14. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I'd wait for 2.1 if you're not absolutely addicted like some.

15. skik210 thread starter macrumors member

doesnt look that skewed so far.

And theres no better place for this thread, yes it's an apple enthusiasts forum, but there are plenty of people (as I've read in multiple threads) that are simply not happy with the iPhone 3G.

What I'm trying to get from this thread is a simple yes or no and a simple reason why. If you have bought it and love it, yes, if you have bought it and dont think it's the best product, vote no.

Thanks for all the replies so far, closer than I expected for sure

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I doubt a poll like this is going to do much good anywhere, honestly. iPhone users will mostly say yes, Blackberry users will mostly say no.

So the question really becoemes "Who here uses what phone?"

That's interesting, but still not very helpful!

That's why I asked what phone he's using now. It's best to compare the iPhone to his current experiences and compare and contrast that.

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

My recommendation is NO!!!

Not until the release of and proven functionality of 2.1 for the iPhone and 8.0 for iTunes. If the update fixes all of the freezes, crash's, resets, dropped calls, 3G instabilities and GPS errors then I would go for it. But wait until you see it work through these threads before buying a major headache...eventually they will fix it and you will be good to go, but right now it is a major frustration.

My wife was going to give me the 3G 16gig for my retirement next month and I have told her to hold off until the software works better then Vista software and the case cracking, 3G radio and light leaks are all fixed....Then and ONLY then can she get it for me.

I'll just keep using my classic and working through the frustrations until then.

Good Luck on your decision.

18. skik210 thread starter macrumors member

for those that wanted to know.

I currently own a crappy little LG phone on the verizon network.

I have an 40GB video iPod and an 20inch iMac both of which I couldnt live without.

I expected the votes to be more toward yes, but would like to larger sample size.. It doest worry me that barely 50% say yes in a forum that is heavily favored towards apple fans.

19. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

if you're still asking yourself about it, then NO :cool: you said you're frequent visitor and have read about reviews, if so then by now you should have decided to buy it then :rolleyes:

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right? If you have to ask, the answer is no.

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I voted yes...

My opinion might be a bit biased because I <3 :apple:. :D

22. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

yes

23. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

This is a very personal decision, but I opted for the v1 and am very happy with my phone. I would not purchase the 3G in light of the issues that are well documented here.

I would definitely recommend the original iPhone if you don't need the GPS or 3g functionality.

Jude

24. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I knew I wanted one and have been very happy with mine. I enjoy using it every day. I never thought I would say that about a phone.