Should I buy an Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsmss, Oct 30, 2008.

1. tsmss macrumors newbie

I am a mac user and have thought a lot about the iphone. Only problem is that I don't want to change carrier. I have been told I can by an Iphone for T-mobile. Not sure what to look for and does mac give support for a phone on something other than AT&T. Or should I consider the G1 phone from T-mobile?

2. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

you can only have your iPhone on tmobile if you jailbreak it. which voids your warranty. however you can always just restore it back to its original software if you need to. i personally think the iPhone is a lot better than the G1. granted i havent used a G1 but from the specs i feel the iPhone is better. and it just looks so much sexier than the G1!

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Well if you are set on an iphone i would wait. The Dev team (the ones who unlock and jailbreak the firmware) have stated they are close to unlocking the 2.1 firmware and that the 2.2 beta version. Right now you would have to get a first gen because they are the only ones that can be unlocked. Check into the G1 or wait.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Or another option would be to buy a first gen phone (if you can live without the 3G) and unlock it. IMHO iPhone is the best, by far, out there. You can't go wrong!

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Wait for the Dev Team to unlock it, it's going to take them 2 weeks top!

6. needthephone macrumors 6502a

yes! Get one you won't regret it.

I've had mine for 10 weeks and I absolutely love it.

I have played with htc and the other wannabes but honestly hand on heart nothing comes close.

I just love this thing to bits!

7. Luvinia Krista macrumors newbie

my mom said she would would buy me one of these which one should i get and why? should i spend it on something else? or what do you think...:cool:?

8. c43amg macrumors member

Iphone is nice but I purchased a Nokia E71 about a week ago and have not used the iphone 3g at all. If you are looking for a ONE handed device that has great software apps and need an AWSOME battery that lasts forever no matter what you, give the E71 a shot. Man this thing is one great device. If anyone is thinking of switching over to an UNLOCKED phone and only pay $15.00 of unlimited data so you can browse SUPER FAST with opera mini and STREAM with no issues, try this phone!

If anyone cares to read a comparison of the 3g and the e71 let me know! If nokia ever makes an E71 with an all screen like the iphone with the form factor it has now, it would give the iphone a good run for the money. Symbian is BLAZING fast compared to the 3g.....

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I would go out and try the G1. You'll love it. It is a very cool device (for some reason, I love the trackball) and the OS is rock solid. It is very, very integrated, especially if you are a fan of Google. And, best of all, it is an open platform/phone. This means that big brother won't be deciding what you decide to place on your phone.

I would get one, but there is poor T Mobile coverage where I live.

10. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

11. tsmss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks everyone: I am a little more confused, but will look into the Nokia E71, I like Noika phones. If I decide on the Iphone I will wait for the new jailbreak.

thanks
    once again

12. c43amg macrumors member

Do you like using you phone/pda this way:

- wake up in the morning, unplug the phone. check emails and respond...., than you click on the music player (or player that streams music) and head for the bathroom while listening to your music. Now you hear a song that you wonder how it got there so you delete the thing on the SPOT. Than you continue to listen to music and you get a call. you answer the call,music stops you talk on the phone for half an hour, hang up, you remember you have to call someone and you call them and talk to them for an HOUR. than you hang up, music continues and you start brushing your teeth. Now you get a text message and some emails and you want to now what its about but your brushing your teeth, your busy. You have 2 options, press a button and the phone reads you all messages including text ones. or use ONE HAND to view them quickly and respond later.

- Your still in the bathroom,now showering and listening to music. You get out get dressed and you sit down to have breakfast. You want to view some youtube clips or watch a movie where you left off last night. you do that with the phone for whatever time before going to work. you head for work, you get calls on the way you talk for an hour. you get to work and you continue to use the phone all day IN WHICH EVER WAY YOU WANT! Dont worry about charging it at the office!!

- Now you are about to head for home and you are invited to a new must go place to eat. You say sure and that you will meet them there. You get to your car, bring out the phone and start the gps. You input the directions and you head there WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING ONCE at your phone. The gps tells you when to turn with VOICE directions. The place is an hour long, dont worry about the battery!

- Finally, you get home, you relax, and you can CONTINUE to use your phone for WHATEVER you want for some more HOURS!

And I can't even go into about multi tasking, man that is so great.

If you want a phone/pda that can do this BUY THE IPHONE!
    Just kidding, the iphone would be dead on battery before you left your home.

BUY THE NOKIA E71 if you REALLY want to get things done fast without worrying about battery. The OS on the E71 is BLAZING FAST.

13. blenks macrumors newbie

That sounds awesome but I just looked up the e71 and man that thing is ugly. You can call me shallow but I like a phone that is functional AND looks good (not necessarily saying this is definitely the case with the iphone, I don't own one yet)

14. ajpak macrumors member

15. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

nice

I will not buy an iphone until there is at least 32 Gigs available.

I know i want it tho. No one has mentioned here the fact that iphone does movies and pictures way better than any other phone. its the only phone with a decent music player. I hate my verizon music player.

My other opinion is that people are getting reamed up the butt for data and texts hard core. I can't believe people that are buying crapy other phones with "mobile internet" and willing to pay the 30$ a month for data. iphone is the only one i've seen that makes the internet pretty awesome on a phone. I am having a really hard time buying one between the 30$ data PLUS texts Plus crappy small memory. Apple don't freaking release a 32 gig touch and not the iphone. Stop holding out on us.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That's like rating a woman higher than another because she is prettier without talking to her only to find out she is pshyco when you do ;)

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Word is the G1 is also going to get a touch screen to type (like the iPhone) instead of a slide up keyboard in the next release.
    Not sure if that is an upgrade or not.

I kinda like real buttons.
    And.....starting Nov 3rd, you can get a G1 at Walmart for $148.88 for new customers and if you qualify for a full upgrade. However, only 551 Walmarts will carry it.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

+1

19. mr-macintosh macrumors member

you're obviously going to get Biased answers, look where you're posting, the iPhone section of macrumors hahaha

that being said, I love my iphone and use it ALL the time, cant imagine life without it.

20. c43amg macrumors member

QUOTE=blenks;6540328]That sounds awesome but I just looked up the e71 and man that thing is ugly. You can call me shallow but I like a phone that is functional AND looks good (not necessarily saying this is definitely the case with the iphone, I don't own one yet)[/QUOTE]

You HAVE too see it in person! I saw on the web and did not like it either. Went to bestbuy and had the guy pull one out and turned it on and WOW! You have to see it in person, to ME it looks just as nice as the iphone but better because it slimmer and metal casing,SOLID. The iphone looks plain compared to the e71. But you have to see and hold this slim puppy.