Should I buy an iPod Touch? (Android User)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ArtificialSugar, May 16, 2017.

1. ArtificialSugar macrumors newbie

First of all, I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the correct place to put this.

Hello. I've never been a big Apple user, so I know nothing about the company or it's products.

I'm a twenty-three year old woman who often listens to music while drawing, or while on trips, when I'm cleaning, ect. I have a laptop and a Samsung Galaxy, as well as a Nook that can all play music. However, my laptop speakers aren't good, and it's too bulky to drag around, my Samsung has bad battery life, and it's getting old, and my Nook is once again too large to drag around and use simply for music, and I'm not sure how great the speakers are.

So, I've been considering getting an iPod touch. They seem pretty neat- music, videos, apps, even texting is available when I have WiFi, which is most of the time.

However, I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend $250-$300 on an iPod Touch. I'm not sure how old the new gen is, nor how out of date it will be soon. I know cell phones go out of date very fast. I would consider buying a newer cell phone, but they're quite a bit more expensive, at least $400-$500, which is a lot more, at least for someone like me.

So, my question is, should I buy an iPod Touch (considering how outdated the current one is, and how soon they'll update), and, if so, what size would be best? I'm thinking 32gb or 64gb. I would use apps, I have a decent amount of music, I would also like to put TV shows and some music videos on it as well, and maybe some games.

I've recently heard that the battery life is terrible for the 6th gen. Is this true? :(

Thank you for your time. [​IMG]

2. Relentless Power, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

The 6th generation iPod touch is completely overpowered with the A8 processor. Which has been rated for poor battery life. If you were to invest in an iPod touch, I would look into the 5th Generation, which is manages the battery Better and is still supported. There is no timeline or guarantee if Apple will update the iPod touch, being it's been a fading product for years now due to the growth of the iPhone.

Also, I would consider 64 GB of memory, especially for music and any other media content.

3. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I agree with power.....

I have an old 4th gen 16GB model.
    it is ok and does what I want.

I do not use apps on it other than couple internet radio apps.
    Have some music on it and 16gb more than enough as roughly 1gb is 10 hours of music in mp3 format 128kbps.

Battery life in the 4th gen is awesome but touch is poor compared to newer models.

I did buy a samsung galaxy player a few years back.
    Was supposed to take on the ipods, it did not and is big pile of poo compared to ipod.

there are many android media players out there but TBH dont bother.
    The ipod has awesome battery and great quality sound if use decent headphones/speakers.

I used to use my 4th gen ipod when cycling as the beat kinda kept me going

4. Sunny1990, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Extend your budget a little and go for iPhone SE, it has great battery life, it's speedy and will have long software support than iPod touch + it also has cellular connectivity, you can use it as a phone.it will full fill your all needs.
    R-P fixed that for you :)

5. Plutonius, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you are getting it for music, the battery will easily last all day although you will need to charge it daily.

Don't bother with the 5th gen Touch. The battery life is marginally better but the 6th gen will be supported much longer. There is also no comparison between the two if you decide to run some apps.

The iPhone SE is way overkill for how you want to use it.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2017 ---
    The iPhone SE is $399 for a 32Gig one. It is also overkill for just a music player.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Wrong. The Base model iPhone SE starts at $399.00 for 32 GB, NOT "$250-$300."

Unless the OP was interested in the iPhone SE, I would NOT pay $400 for just an iPhone SE as a music player. I would easily recommend the the iPod touch for music needs/media.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

The battery is fine for listening to music. The 5th generation has terrible performance and is not even a consideration if you want something up-to-date. It is not supported by the latest version of iOS and Apple will be phasing out 32-bit support soon.

Honestly you'd have to use it to know if it'll work for you. What one person finds unusable could be fine for you.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

I think for basic media tasks and music, it should be suitable. But you are correct, it's already considered outdated and yes, 32 bit will be a thing of the past.

9. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I agree. Music alone did not kill the battery when I had an iPod touch 6. It was watching video, multi media type of stuff that would run it down in two hours. If you are using it mostly as a dedicated music player I say go for it.

10. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

For audio apps, the Touch is great. Mine just lasted a 15 hour flight.
    For video or wifi, look for an SE on sale.