Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Now heres the thing Im buying a 2011 MBA i5 13" 128GB SSD.

I have a 256GB SSD chip for MBA.

Now if i switch the SSD professionally apple will still void warrenty right? Since i Switched the ssd.

Apple care is $166 for students but thats upon purchase.
Advice?

bk123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
The problem with that is that often Apple's solution to a problem may be to give you a new MBA. That will be a problem for you. :apple:

i know often they do just repair computers but other "i" devices they just replace...
But im saying will it void the warrenty if they see its 256GB ssd vs 128

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Two pieces of advice. Both are free so you can choose to take it or leave it.

1. Don't fix what isn't broken.

2. Get AppleCare. You won't regret it.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Im saying whats the point spending $300 more for a 256GB if you already have a 256GB HD

Horrible risk/reward. So, for $300, you're willing to void your warranty on a $1500 purchase plus not being able to buy AppleCare for it if you decide you'd like an additional 2 years of coverage? That makes little sense.

In every scenario - except a minor, in-store repair (where the Genius may not notice that you installed a different SSD) - your warranty will be voided forever once they note their system.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I wouldn't risk it. Applecare > your upgrades. You can always get portable externals.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have seen nothing to suggest that replacing the blade SSD will void the warranty.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I have seen nothing to suggest that replacing the blade SSD will void the warranty.

Apple doesn't consider it consumer upgradeable, so if you go by the books, it WILL void your warranty. What usually happens is they'll just deny servicing your laptop until you put the original hardware back and there are no signs of damage/tampering. Only way around this is to have Apple or a certified shop upgrade the drive for you. Depending on the issue, apple *may* still provide warranty repairs if you leave the upgraded components in there. I upgraded the ram in my girlfriend's macbook pro and her trackpad broke. At first they were going to charge her for the repair since I upgraded the ram, but when she called me and put me on the phone with them, they decided to do it as a "one time" courtesy.

crspechicn

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
The above poster is right... They are likely to give you a new MBA if it's a significant service, and if the 256 is in there you lose that because you bought a 128.

My advice -- sell the 256 you have on eBay and get the 256 model with the AppleCare. If you want the AppleCare -- that is really the only way to go in my opinion.

scenemissing

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Keep the 256GB drive, skip the Applecare. Extended warranties are at least 50% profit for the manufacturer. Take the money and use it the next time you want to upgrade.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Keep the 256GB drive, skip the Applecare. Extended warranties are at least 50% profit for the manufacturer. Take the money and use it the next time you want to upgrade.

+1 Applecare pretty much only covers manufacturing defects. If there are any problems with your machine they are likely to show within the first year of owning it. Most damage that shows up after a year is likely user inflicted, which applecare does not cover.

Edit: I spent about $2000 on an extended warranty when i bought my car. So far it has saved me a whopping $250 and is about to expire. I should of just took the two grand and threw it at some homeless people. At least then it would of went to good use, like alcohol and weed.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Plus, also consider that many credit cards will extend your warranty coverage, usually double the manufacturer's warranty up to an extra year.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
If the 256GB chip is a toshiba/samsung drive then you are fine as the genius in the genius bar is very unlikely to look at the numbers on the drive while fixing the computer.

If you go into a 1 on 1 session and they notice you have a 256 GB drive while using the machine, you're screwed.

If you go to the genius and they use the computer and see you have a 256 GB drive, you're screwed.

Personally, I'd buy the 128GB option, and replace it with the 256 GB drive but don't sell the 128GB just in case. I had an appointment with the genius bar last week and was not able to replace my stock SSD but the genius did not notice. I was lucky.

Applecare is well worth it. Not all hardware defects show within 1 year btw. Also, even if it is user inflicted, i.e, you pressed your monitor too hard (idk just an example..), if apple can't prove its user inflicted, they will replace it for free.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I upgraded the ram in my girlfriend's macbook pro and her trackpad broke. At first they were going to charge her for the repair since I upgraded the ram, but when she called me and put me on the phone with them, they decided to do it as a "one time" courtesy.

Since RAM is user-upgradable on the MacBook Pro, they can't deny warranty coverage unless they can demonstrate that installing the RAM damaged the trackpad. Mention "Magnuson Moss" to a manager if they give you trouble in the future. I'm not sure if the act is applicable to extended service plans, but mentioning it would probably be enough.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Apple doesn't consider it consumer upgradeable, so if you go by the books, it WILL void your warranty. What usually happens is they'll just deny servicing your laptop until you put the original hardware back and there are no signs of damage/tampering. Only way around this is to have Apple or a certified shop upgrade the drive for you. Depending on the issue, apple *may* still provide warranty repairs if you leave the upgraded components in there. I upgraded the ram in my girlfriend's macbook pro and her trackpad broke. At first they were going to charge her for the repair since I upgraded the ram, but when she called me and put me on the phone with them, they decided to do it as a "one time" courtesy.

Says who, based upon what documentation?

----------

The above poster is right... They are likely to give you a new MBA if it's a significant service, and if the 256 is in there you lose that because you bought a 128.

My advice -- sell the 256 you have on eBay and get the 256 model with the AppleCare. If you want the AppleCare -- that is really the only way to go in my opinion.

This makes sense.

----------

If the 256GB chip is a toshiba/samsung drive then you are fine as the genius in the genius bar is very unlikely to look at the numbers on the drive while fixing the computer.

If you go into a 1 on 1 session and they notice you have a 256 GB drive while using the machine, you're screwed.

If you go to the genius and they use the computer and see you have a 256 GB drive, you're screwed.

Personally, I'd buy the 128GB option, and replace it with the 256 GB drive but don't sell the 128GB just in case. I had an appointment with the genius bar last week and was not able to replace my stock SSD but the genius did not notice. I was lucky.

Applecare is well worth it. Not all hardware defects show within 1 year btw. Also, even if it is user inflicted, i.e, you pressed your monitor too hard (idk just an example..), if apple can't prove its user inflicted, they will replace it for free.

Is this based upon the experience of having been turned down?

What I see in apples documentation references damaged resulting from unauthorized modification. So they have to demonstrate the issue was caused by the new SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.