Should I buy Apple Care?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rkaria19, Jul 18, 2012.

1. rkaria19 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 16gb wifi iPad (new) from Apple Store. They tried to sell me Apple Care Protection in store for £67 but I stalled on that and just wondering if the majority of you guys have found the protection useful? Is it a pack that you can buy cheaper elsewhere?

Essentially is it just 2 years of protection just in case I happen to ruin/or my iPad has a fault?

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I also recently purchased a 16gb wifi iPad (an iPad2 refurb from the apple store) which of course includes the one year warranty. Anyway, I couldn't couldn't justify apple care for this purchase. For a MBP maybe as there are plenty of things that can go wrong but for a relatively simple device without a keyboard... I decided to save my money. I did the same with my iPhone, but I did purchase AC when I owned a 2009 iMac (which I sold in less than a year for my MBP)

I suspect few people buy AC for an iPad but we will see as this thread progresses

3. rkaria19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

PS. Do you know how I can change my sig? For some reason I can't...

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Click on "User CP' above. Then click on "Edit Signature":)

5. ManUMark macrumors member

Insurance is not some benovolent option, it is money making by the seller. Buying insurance is easy, getting money out via a claim is not.

6. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Don't bother. Waste of money buying it for an iPad!

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

AppleCare is an extended warranty. Whether it's useful or not is just like any other discussion on any other extended warranty or any product out there. Some use it, some do not. Some find it useful, some do not. There are plenty of threads on AppleCare all over this site. If you need a starting point:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C...,cf.osb&fp=e90d0913f918c708&biw=1024&bih=1195

Not all places sell AppleCare for the same price.

It's an extended warranty. It's not insurance.

8. ScottW1, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

ScottW1 macrumors regular

It all depends

You have to ask yourself some questions.

1. How much technical assistance do you expect to need?
    Your ipad comes with 90 days of complimentary phone-in technical support, to help you with setup, using apple software, backup/restore, just about anything. AC and AC+ extends that to 2 years. If you are technically self-sufficient or have a family member that can help you, then this isn't much benefit. But if you expect to need help using / configuring the device it can be a big reason to buy AC. Without AC, support calls to Apple are charged at the per-incident rate, which for iPad is $29 (£25) each.

2. How reliable is the iPad hardware?
    Your ipad comes with 1 year of warranty against manufacturing defects, including battery failure. AC and AC+ extends that to 2 years. They are pretty darned reliable. Personally, I haven't heard many stories about iPads failing in their second year of life so I don't consider this to be a big benefit, but YMMV.

3. How careful are you with your electronic devices?
    The standard warranty does not cover accidental damage, nor does plain AC. But AC+ (if available in your country) does. If you break your iPad (i.e., drop it, step on it, or spill liquid on it), you will have to pay for a replacement. Without AC+, replacement with a remanufactured unit is US$299. With AC+, replacement with a remanufactured unit is US$49 (you can do this twice over the two-year period). If you tend to be careless with your devices, or have other household members that are careless, then the accidental damage coverage could make AC+ a good gamble.
    NOTE THAT AC+ IS NOT AVAILABLE IN ALL COUNTRIES, SO YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET AC+ AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE COVERAGE IT PROVIDES WHERE YOU LIVE.

4. Do you expect to sell the Ipad within 2 years?
    AC and AC+ follows the device to its new owner, and that can increase resale value. Buyers feel safer knowing that
    if there a problem with the device (like a bad battery or intermittent button), Apple will replace it under the 2-year warranty as long as there are no signs of physical damage or liquid contact.

Note that AC (or AC+) does NOT cover loss or theft, so don't consider that as a possible benefit. And also remember that the accidental damage clause in AC+ does NOT cover "normal wear and tear", like scratches and dents (as long as it still functions normally).

In the end, know that manufacturers sell extended warranties because it is profitable for them. Intrinsically that means that MOST people who pay for warranty coverage get less monitary benefit from the warranty than they paid for it. But there will be SOME (like someone who breaks their iPad screen a month after purchase, or needs a lot of technical assistance, or has the rare battery failure between 12 and 24 months) who will profit from the purchase.

9. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I purchased AC+ for my iPad in March...a week ago I dropped my iPad face down onto concrete...ugh! :eek: Cracks in two corners, and a few hairline cracks across the width of the screen. I took it to Apple immediately and received a new iPad..simple. I normally am extremely careful with my gadgets but stuff happens. I did not get AC+ for my 2008 MBP and thus far have not needed it.

Draw your own conclusions! But for me AC+ came in handy. :)

10. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

If you plan to use a credit card to purchase an iPad (or any other Apple device), check first to see what your credit card issuer provides in terms of extended warranty. For example, I just bought an MBA with an AMEX card and skipped AppleCare because AMEX doubles Apple's one-year warranty to two years. $249 seems awfully expensive for one extra year of coverage.

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I bought AppleCare for my iPhone and at some point will be buying it for my iPad. I've used it with my iPhone outside of the warranty period so was very happy that I decided to purchase it :)

12. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Apple care + if you are clumpsy , apple care no.

13. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

14. gman27 macrumors member

I get Applecare on all my "computers" aka OS X. iOS I never have.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The accidental drop/water coverage makes it attractive to me and I purchased it for my iPad. I dropped my iPad onto concrete today, there was no damage but my heart didn't stop when I checked. :)

16. ougum macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

Bought AppleCare + for my phone because it travel with me everywhere I go. No AppleCare for the iPad because it's at home most of the time. I'm less likely to mess it up.

17. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Pretty much my story as well. I was issued an iPad through work and also dropped it on concrete face down. Since we bought AC+ it was only $49 out of my pocket vs. owing the company $500.

18. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Actually Apple would replace your iPad 3 for $299 if you didn't have Applecare+. But having it is still worthwhile, in my opinion.

19. iaddict macrumors 6502

I just had a 1st generation iPad stop charging. Couln't figure out what was going on. Finally, I called Apple. They determined it was a hardware issue. They overnighted me another iPad And Inhave 10 days to return the one that was not working. I had 58 days remaining in my AppleCare. You can decide if you think the money was worth it. Now I have a functioning iPad. Without it the iPad would probably be trashed. I'm sure I would have researched getting it fixed but I think it would probably cost more to get it fixed than what I paid for AppleCare.

20. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Spent 89 dollars for the otterbox defender case. AppleCare right there lol