should i buy applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaaaaaron, Aug 30, 2010.

1. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

just a quick question here.

if i get the 2010 mac mini, swap out the hdd and ram (with third party products of course), should i still buy apple care? would i be covered if anything went wrong say a year down the line?

obviously it wouldn't cover the hdd or ram, but would the upgrades put my computer out of the warranty? i'm thinking that it would, but i don't know for sure.

thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I upgraded the RAM in my old G4 Mac Mini so I could install Leopard. It was still under AppleCare but I never needed to call about anything so I never found out. Apple will install RAM and HDD for "free" under AppleCare but only if you buy it from Apple (at their inflated prices). Getting a Mac Mini open is not for the faint of heart. Google for it. You will find out what the 4 putty knives are for. :eek:

As for not buying AppleCare because you intend to do your own upgrade, that's up to you. Even if you never take your Mini in for repairs, AppleCare includes free phone support and that is what I use most often.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. aaaaaaron thread starter macrumors regular

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

FOUR putty knives? I did it with ONE. :D

The new Mini is no challenge at all... opening my old one put hair on your chest! During the almost 3 years I had it, I upgraded the RAM, hard drive, optical drive, and the CPU. I didn't have AppleCare nor any need for it - except when I broke the cable to my sound card during my second hard drive upgrade. Oh wait... that was my fault - AC wouldn't have covered it anyway. :eek:

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

agreed......the price of applecare for the mini is a pretty significant percentage of the price of the mini. And since you're replacing the drive, you're probably significantly reducing the potential failures that would be covered anyway

8. Mac my day macrumors newbie

Up-grading the new Mac mini is a breeze. If you're intending to replace RAM and hard drive, if bought new they will be covered by there own warranty. I guess it just depends on whether you intend to use the technical phone support as these calls without AP will give you a bill that will make your eyes pop.:eek: