Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colem1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I have a Late '08 Macbook that has worked perfectly and still does. I want to know is buying Applecare worth it for this? what are some sample repair costs for common parts?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
My suggestion would be yes.. You can find it cheaper on eBay if you don't want to pay full price.

colem1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
My suggestion would be yes.. You can find it cheaper on eBay if you don't want to pay full price.

Doesnt that pose the risk of the seller using the code and attempting to sell it?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Doesnt that pose the risk of the seller using the code and attempting to sell it?

If you don't go eBay, try L.A. Computer or Amazon, there is a massive thread regarding eBay.

I always think that AppleCare is a good idea if you have a notebook and plan on keeping your notebook for two years or longer. I have found plenty use for my AppleCare in MagSafes and batteries alone.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

No, you can get a listing for an unopened box. The seller can't use the code if they don't have access to it.

Abso-frakkin'-lutely get Applecare for a mac portable. While it doesn't cover accidental damage-get a keyboard cover for spills or put your mb on a stand-it will easily pay for itself if you need even one repair over the three year period. Unless it's a dead hard drive, apple laptops are neither easy nor cheap to repair. If your logicboard decides to die in early 2011, replacing it out of warranty will be almost as much as a new machine.

Applecare also covers apple branded peripherals as well as the new machine.

Finally, apple telephone tech support comes with applecare, which includes support for apple software products.

If you can spend the $100-250 now, would you rather spend the next two years praying that your computer doesn't die every time you turn it on, or secretly hoping that it does? :rolleyes:

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
i have the late 08 aluminum macbook also and opted not to get applecare

my reasoning is that the machine was $1500 when i bought it, and it's value now is around $900. i haven't had any problems with it so far (13 months) and paying another $100 just seemed to me as if i was digging a deeper and deeper hole into my pocket

*knocks on wood*

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Statistically speaking, I think it is pretty well established that extended warranties like Applecare are not worth the added cost. I've read several articles on the subject including one specifically on Applecare on cnet, or Macworld, or somewhere like that. Now grandted that doesn't consider the "value" of piece-of-mind. But also consider this: refurbished 13" Macbook Pros with a year of warranty are popping up on Apple's site for $1,000. Refurbished aluminum Macbooks like yours are popping up for what, about $900? Assuming you've got your machine backed up to an external (I always keep a clone in addition to Timemachine), if you buy Applecare now you will be gambling with about $200 (20%) over the cost of a almost new 13" Macbook Pro with higher resale value than your current machine. That isn't a good bet. At a certain point, I almost hope my machine does fail so that I can justify to myself to get a new one. Well OK, you get another three years of phone advice, but what can't you find on the web these days?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
No. The only things they cover are things that are cheaper than applecare itself. You'll be just as ****ed as anyone else if you crack the screen or spill a drink on it, so you might as well save your money.

theGTIguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
No. The only things they cover are things that are cheaper than applecare itself. You'll be just as ****ed as anyone else if you crack the screen or spill a drink on it, so you might as well save your money.

Jesus, its an extended warranty, not insurance. Take care of your crap!

cubeeggs

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
I own a late-2006 MacBook. In its first year, the fan died and had to be replaced so I bought AppleCare when the one-year warranty was about to expire. Six months later, I had to send it in because it stopped booting. I have no idea what caused it, and Apple only has on file that they clean-installed the OS, but I’m thinking it was a logic board replacement. My power adapter failed last year and I had to have it replaced under warranty, and then earlier this year my fan’s bearings started going bad or something and it was making a terrible clicking noise, and over the summer I had that replaced under warranty. A few weeks ago, I took my MacBook in to an Apple Store because the warranty was about to expire and there were a few dust spots in the LCD and the headphone jack was intermittently getting stuck in optical mode, and the Genius noticed it was much looser than normal. Apple replaced my logic board and LCD due to minor issues, as well as some other items related the the repair, all under warranty. Unfortunately, they reinstalled the bezel improperly and I have to send it in again, but repairs are covered by a 90-day warranty (or until the warranty on the computer expires).

If I didn’t have AppleCare, my computer would not be in good condition. I’m not sure if the logic board was replaced when my computer stopped booting, but if it was, that would have been a significant expense, and I’m not sure if I ever would have gotten around to getting the fan fixed the second time if I had to pay for it, and I know my LCD and headphone jack would have issues for the life of the computer.

It’s like health insurance. Sure, you may get lucky not having AppleCare, and save some money, but you’ll skip miss out on getting minor issues with expensive parts fixed under warranty, and if your computer turns out to be a lemon, you’ll be screwed.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
YES It is worth it

Just calculate this way, It's a laptop so even if the USB ports fail they have to replace the whole computer (logic board which has everything soldered) and that would cost you more than 3/4 of the price of your machine, better just pay apple care to avoid the risk and also get neat telephone support :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I swear by Applecare. It has saved my bacon more than once. I got my Macbook repaired when the case cracked, the family MacPro's ATI X1900 got replaced (£500) when that died and my iPhone for when the case cracked on that too. As I get the Applecare cheaper as a student, I'd always recommend it, it just doesn't make sense to gamble.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I highly suggest you purchase AppleCare. You're buying it just in case. There is no guarantee you are going to use it, or will even need to use it. However, if a situation arose in which you needed to replace the screen, keyboard, or logic board I assure you having AppleCare will pay off in dividends.

iRach

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
Hi, newbie here :)

Hi,
Can you buy Applecare just before the one year warranty runs out, or does it have to be at the same time as you buy your laptop?

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Hi,
Can you buy Applecare just before the one year warranty runs out, or does it have to be at the same time as you buy your laptop?

I think you have to buy it within a year of your purchase, before the original warranty runs out.

I buy AppleCare for laptops, not for desktops. Never needed it for my desktops... usually need it at least once for my laptops.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, id rather throw that money in the bank and let it build interest then when my machine takes a dive, that cash is a great down payment on a new machine....

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
AppleCare for a MacBook or 13 inch MBP would be under $200 with a student discount. If you have an account that accrues that much interest within a year or two, I would greatly appreciate some more information. Buying AppleCare is your choice, but it will save you a good sum of money if something goes wrong with your Mac.

Jim Tomlinson

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
And sometimes it's REALLY worth it

I bought applecare in the 11th month of the original 1-year warranty on my 15" core duo (not core2) MBP. Month 13, the drive failed. No worries, had a backup. Figured I'd paid for applecare, might as well have them replace it. This was a 7200RPM, so special order; the Apple Store had to keep it over the weekend. Thieves broke in that weekend and cleaned out the repair facility. The drive was trashed; I'd spent 3 days trying to revive it before I finally brought it in for replacement, so no risk of identity/data theft. Mortified store manager said he'd replace with new 15" MBP (core2duo by that time) and free applecare. "With a 7200RPM drive, right?", says I. Only machine they had in stock with a 7200 was a hi-res 17". "That'll do.", says I. Cost them a new 17", but I'm now a fanboy for life, and about to (I've had the 17" for 2 years, 8 months) spring for a new Core i7 17". And yes, I'll buy applecare before the 1-year warranty expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.