Should i Buy Applecare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leet Apple, May 16, 2010.

1. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Nothing has really gone wrong with my iPhone besides the occasional problems which a simple restore fixed.:cool:

Applecare is $99 and i could do other things with that money the only real thing that wants me to buy Applecare is i get a new pair of earphones cause my mic stopped working recently.:(

Give me your thoughts on why i should buy :apple:care

2. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i bought applecare off ebay the other day, £20.00, absolute bargain as it is usually £60 in the shops.

if you are going to get it, get it off ebay.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If your phone is under warranty your earphones are covered. If it is not under warranty you can't get Applecare anyway. :cool:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Applecare is like any other extended warranty coverage. All the financial advisors will say that’s a waste of money, especially for the lower costs items like an iPod or iPhone.

5. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i do generally agree with this however if you can find it cheap enough its definitely worth it. never buy it for full retail though as it is definitely a rip off for that price.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I didn’t know you could get it cheaper. How legit are the one’s selling it on eBay? I mean, how do they sell it, since I thought it had to come from Apple?

7. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

well the one i got was from a japanese seller, he emailed the code after sale to enter on the apple website where you can set up applecare. Obviously i would say be careful and always check feedback etc but nothing went wrong with mine so it all gravy.

i didnt realise you had to get them directly from apple, maybe he 'got' them from somewhere to sell on?

8. zacharace macrumors member

Interesting. I've seen AppleCare selling on eBay (in the US) and always wondered where it came from...:rolleyes:. I haven't come across as good of a deal, though, compared to what you got.

As for retail AppleCare, I'd vote nay, especially for an iPhone/iPod. Waste of money relative to the risk involved. Macs are one thing; for iPhones, I'd agree with the "financial planners."

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i will give the link to the seller to those who want it, he is still selling them.

just not sure if it is against forum rules to post ebay links on here. if anyone wants it PM me.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

In general just check feedback on eBay sellers who are selling the Apple Care protection. I've gone the eBay route for Macbook Pro's, powerbooks, and iPhones. Never had a problem. But I have heard others had problems, which i suspect arose from shady dealers.

11. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Ebay sounds sketchy, since it had come from Apple in the first place:confused:

i have decided if anything happens to my iPhone so be it, God forbid anything does;)

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I find apple care for iPhone a waste of money. Every year a new model will be out, so instead of investing in apple care save for your new hardware or with less money you can get a good insurance policy so it covers extra things that apple care will not (also you can add it to your rent insurance or house insurance).

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I won't get a warranty on a phone. I would get an insurance policy that covered loss or accidental damage.

14. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Like the other responses, I bought of eBay: just over £20.

Mine was boxed, bought just before the warranty expired. Only difference was it was obviously an old version; all references were to the old (1st) iPhone, not 3G/3GS so I guess an old retail product. Registration of my 3G was fine though, and already taken it in for flickering pixel and poor battery.

Worth it IMHO (at this price) as even cheap batteries on eBay are half that before having to install them!

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Really? I picked up an OEM battery for $6.49 US....free shipping.

16. rkswat macrumors regular

Why should you need to be convinced to buy something. Either you want it or you don't ffs. Find out all the info and make a freaking decision, it's not really that hard.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sounds to me like that's what they are doing...finding out the info that we can provide from experience.

18. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Simply were more expensive back then I guess. Plus I was looking for exact replacements, and all the 'OEM' ones were "similar to Apple's" (not reassuring)
    OEM doesn't mean "this is what is used in the real thing", but "generic unbranded/compatible part that should fit" especially on ebay.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. So yeah, it does mean the real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer