Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknownx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a new pair of Apple Earpods or Dre's urBeats.
I need something compatible with my iphone

The only "negative" comments ive heard on urBeats it the bass.
Is it a Huge difference from Apple's earpods ?

One + is that they say urBeats is tangle-free.
My current earpods are a mess! impossible to straight it out

TribeFan1

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Look at Bose IE2, or mIE2i's or whatever the Apple specialized version is. I use the IE2 because they were cheaper and I absolutely love them, the sound is really clear and the bass is great.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Which ones sound better to you? If sound doesn't matter, which ones do you like better? Buy those.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Hell no. They're all about the brand and the look. You can get much better sounding headphones much cheaper.

Pro Tip: If you want a decent set of headphones, buy ones made by a company that also makes microphones for bands. Because companies like that will actually care about sound quality. I usually go with Shure or Sennheiser.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Shure <3 i live by these things and are tangle free! I first bought them years ago because you can run with them and they will stay in you ear. I then lost them and bought them again few years later i still have them and use them everyday they sound amazing and i am on the same ear bud tip out of the few it brings.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Another vote for Shure or Sennheiser.

I like that Shure uses Kelvar with their earphones. Its tough and doesn't tangle. I justified spending the extra $$ to the reasons that I don't have to buy a new pair every year. SE315 Shure great sound. Very balanced sound with Shure. Sennheiser adds a little more bass.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Just $30 more gets you the RHA MA750i, which sound like $300+ earbuds but retail for $129. More comfortable too.

The urBeats should not cost more than $50 for the quality sound they generate.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
+1 on the RHA MA750i.
I was using the tour for 2 yrs...sounds good but uncomfortable & broke after 9months ..twice ( Beats customer service was great-).

The RHA sounds just as good if not better .but way more comfy & looks like it could last forever ;-) super high quality material & construction !

Ps if you decided on the Beats; get the comply foam tips ... Without them the Beats sound like crap because it requires super tight fit.

Enjoy!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've used klipsche, I've used shure, I've used sennheiser, Ive used Bose, and I've used beats. IMO, beats get a huge amount of hate, and I am not sure why. Because they are trendy? They really aren't strictly inferior to other products in their class.

I feel comparing it an item that is "just $30" (or something similar) more expenisve isn't exactly fair. Think of it is a percentage of the product. You are literally saying spend 30% more and get a better product.

The only reason I would really recommend against beats is because you are undoubtedly going to run into an "audiophile" (quotes VERY intentional) who is going to try and point out what an idiot you are for buying these things. And who wants to deal with those guys? :rolleyes:

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I've used klipsche, I've used shure, I've used sennheiser, Ive used Bose, and I've used beats. IMO, beats get a huge amount of hate, and I am not sure why. Because they are trendy? They really aren't strictly inferior to other products in their class.

I feel comparing it an item that is "just $30" (or something similar) more expenisve isn't exactly fair. Think of it is a percentage of the product. You are literally saying spend 30% more and get a better product.

The only reason I would really recommend against beats is because you are undoubtedly going to run into an "audiophile" (quotes VERY intentional) who is going to try and point out what an idiot you are for buying these things. And who wants to deal with those guys? :rolleyes:

Understandable regarding the $30 comment. Even still, I would say save the $10 and buy the MA600i from RHA then. I'm by no means an audiophile but both these headsets offer significant clarity compared to the muddy bass of the urbeats; the sound quality of the urbeats is fine but not worth the $100 when $39 Sony earbuds will achieve the same quality sound. If the price range is still $100, better buds can be purchased for the money.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Understandable regarding the $30 comment. Even still, I would say save the $10 and buy the MA600i from RHA then. I'm by no means an audiophile but both these headsets offer significant clarity compared to the muddy bass of the urbeats; the sound quality of the urbeats is fine but not worth the $100 when $39 Sony earbuds will achieve the same quality sound. If the price range is still $100, better buds can be purchased for the money.

Actually I agree. Had the urBeats are returned them. Got the new Bose Freestyle and new Sony MDRXB50AP and doing an evaluation now. Bose is too focused on highs and less bass. And the new Sony's are on $50

Silverrune

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I'm thinking about buying a new pair of Apple Earpods or Dre's urBeats.
I need something compatible with my iphone

The only "negative" comments ive heard on urBeats it the bass.
Is it a Huge difference from Apple's earpods ?

One + is that they say urBeats is tangle-free.
My current earpods are a mess! impossible to straight it out

Beats are terrible.. If I was going to choose a pair of earbuds (I basically exclusively use headphones) I'd go with the Steelseries FLUX In-Ear Pro buds. They'd set you back a bit, but better to get a quality product that is going to last a long time then a cheap pair. Those or anything from Sennheiser.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Bose is marked up like Apple... except without the exceptional build quality to back it up.

Bajillion dollar sound system with paper drivers? No thanks. I'd take Beats before I'd take Bose.

That being said, I'm a Shure guy.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Not looking to pile on here... but I've owned both and can tell you that they are both overpriced garbage. The Apple headphones stop working about every 3 months. luckily you can get them replaced at the apple store under your iPhone's warranty.... and the Beats sound horrible and easily break as well. I dont have any alternate suggestions for you sorry but alot of folks in this thread have offered some... I would suggest taking one of those.

Delorean2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2012
i got a set of the beats tour 2.0 and they broke within a week, the build quality with their earbuds are piss poor, they actually sounded not too bad, not as good as the klipsch image but better then the bose, but got a free warranty replacement and got the bose instead because they are sweat proof and well are more durable and i know they are going to stay in my ears...

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
Well according to another poster in a thread in the iPhone section.
If you don't like beats it must be because a rapper is behind them so therefore you must be racist.

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.