Should i buy generic power adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kinzkarazy, Oct 11, 2013.

1. kinzkarazy macrumors newbie

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I would never take a chance with a power supply to save a few bucks. You are taking a big damage risk to save a relatively small number of dollars.

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Save up and buy OEM. Don't mess with generic when it comes to a $1000 + computer.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Normally I would say go ahead, but the latest electrocution news from China are disturbing. I would look for a used one on eBay in good condition. Apple has a web page that tells you how to spot the genuine ones.

5. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Penny wise, Pound stupid?

Don't do it.

Many Apple product resellers have very liberal return policies, including Apple Stores.

Just sayin'. ;)

6. teffers macrumors regular

I would say go OEM. A generic PSU is just too much of a gamble.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I do not recommend third party cables / batteries etc. Buy from Apple. You have peace of mind, a warranty that's worth something, and a genuine like for like replacement.

8. Theydonboi macrumors member

Really can't recommend cheap cables. Bought two off eBay because the official one seemed so expensive, but both knock-offs lasted less than a few months and were badly made to the point of being dangerous. Ended up buying an official Apple one on top of that.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Or, in my case, thrice.

9. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Silly...

Hmm..risk ruining a $1000 machine to save a few dollars on a stupid cable?

How about you just take your main charger with you when you take the computer out and about? If you're traveling, why would you leave your main charger at home? You gonna use it at home while you and the computer are on the road? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical..

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I buy good knockoff.

There's a saying - isn't it funny how the people who don't have the money to buy the right thing have the money to buy the wrong thing over and over again? I agree with this, but at the same time, the original isn't anything special to begin with. Look at the user reviews on Apple's own website, it's a cheaply made charger that they sell for almost $100.

Bad knockoff will do that **** where it sparks when you are fiddling to plug it in. If you jump on eBay and buy some $18 **** with free shipping, you deserve what you get, IMO.

But, good original will make you feel silly spending nearly $100 for a 18v switching power supply with flimsy wiring.

In my experience, I will murder all of them with time, so I buy the good knockoffs, costs mid $20s and I don't want to cry when I eventually kill it.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never used that, but go for it and let us know!

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If you have AppleCare, ring them up and tell them your charger has given up. They'll just send you a replacement, no issues. Free second charger!

Well, that's what a colleague of mine did :)

13. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If it doesn't kill you first.