Should I buy high end MBP now or wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rex450se, Nov 7, 2018.

  1. rex450se macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Independence, MO
    #1
    I'm looking to buy a new 15" MacBook Pro but am in no big hurry. I'm looking at the 2.9 i9, 32Gb Ram and 1Tb SSD. I can't decide if I should wait for the Vega options to release. I honestly don't need either of them, as the basic 13" would suffice for my tasks. I do some minor photo and video editing though, very minor, and was wondering if there would be considerable differences from what I can currently get. Are there any ideas about what the cost difference would be also? Thanks for your input.
     
  2. akis-k macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Greece
    #2
    Pardon me, but if a 13" inch suffice for your needs why then are you looking for the most high end option? Nevertheless i would wait. I believe that vega could make a difference in performance, in gpu terms.
     
  3. rex450se thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Independence, MO
    #3
    For one I want the 15" screen. And another, my work is buying it for me, so go big or go home, right? My desktop is a Dell workstation with dual Xeon processors and 95% of my work is done in Word, Excel and Outlook. This will be mine personally, it's kind of like a bonus for a project I worked on. If the performance differences would be negligible I'll just get one now, but if they are significant then I'll wait.
     
  4. John-117, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

    John-117 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #4
    The new Vega GPUs will be a significant enough upgrade to be worth the wait. If your work is springing for a personal laptop then go all out. The one exception might be the i9. Its thermal issues make the 2.6 i7 a more sensible choice for the current 15" MBP chassis.
     
  5. akis-k macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Greece
    #5
    I think you should wait. It is just around the corner... :) And i would suggest to go for the 2.6 i7 8850h instead of the i9 one as John-117 posted. There are some throttling issues with the i9, that will keep the clocks of the cpu even lower than the i7..
     
  6. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

    Pangalactic

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2016
    #6
    Either buy now or wait for the next MBP iteration. Yes it will be more powerful, but you won't really notice unless you are doing some really hardcore video editing - and even then it would affect mostly the render times. In day to day use, you won't notice a difference. Also, it won't be fixing any of the problems the current models have, so if I were you I would get a current one, or wait and see what Apple does with the MBP next.
     
  7. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2016
    #7
    The Vega refresh is going to be released within the next 3 weeks, so at this point I'd wait even just to see what the price difference will be. That said, from what you wrote Vega is going to make zero difference for your usage.
     
  8. iPhonagain macrumors member

    iPhonagain

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Location:
    Indy
    #8
    I agree with this, the new Vega chips will be a nice improvement and are coming out pretty soon, definitely worth the wait.
     

Share This Page

7 November 7, 2018