Should I buy iLIfe '11?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by schmidtys311, Sep 14, 2011.

1. schmidtys311 macrumors newbie

Simple question with many opinions I'm sure. Should I upgrade my iLife now to '11 or is there an upgrade on the way, say by December?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No one really knows, because Apple has been changing the way they release software, so history doesn't serve well as a guide. In previous years, they've always done updates from 12-24 months apart, but we don't know what they'll do this time. There will almost certainly be an update to iPhoto at least within the next couple months, related to iCloud, but it'll almost definitely be a free point update, not a paid upgrade. They may never choose to release a paid upgrade again, with the App Store model, or they may continue with a similar schedule to what they had before, just with per-app pricing as they have now.

Incidentally, I'm hoping they update or replace iWeb, instead of trashing it altogether. Don't care much about iDVD, although I know people who would like an update, but I think that's unlikely with the cloud focus now.

jW

3. Athonline macrumors member

Agree with the person above me. What iLife version you have? Do you use iPhoto or another software to manage your photographs? iMovie / Garage Band?
    Most likely iCloud updates for iLife will be free, so no worries there. I would say it depends on how much you use iLife apps and which do you use! Give us some more info :)