Should I buy iLife discs or through the App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Jun 6, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I had to replace my HDD and got everything reinstalled and migrated over properly. When I went to open iPhoto, it said my library was from a newer version that what I had. Apparently I've lost my iLife '09 discs and only have '08.

So, should I just buy the discs or through the App Store. I won't get iWeb through the App Store, which I really don't use anyway, but I do need iMovie, along with iPhoto.

Guess I'll see what I can find in the marketplace.

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Though the store, it is a buy once install many, very cool feature.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

What do you mean by "buy once install many?"

I only have one Mac, just bought the Family Pack in case I ever wanted to buy an iMac or something, but right now, my next major purchase is going to be a MacBook Pro.

I guess if maybe I can get a used copy cheap that would be best, right?

4. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

The phrase means, that once you buy an app in the Mac App Store on one Mac, you are able to download it onto any and all Macs you own for free once you log into the Mac App Store using your ID and password.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You can hang the discs from your rearview mirror.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The App Store is cheaper, although bear in mind iDVD and iWeb aren't available through there. If you use those, you might want to get the disk. Otherwise, the advantages of the App Store are more than convincing enough (no limit on the number of computers you can use the software on, unlimited redownloading if you wipe your drive or replace your computer, etc).

jW

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

$45 for GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto on the App Store
    $49 for GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb, and iDVD on disk

App store is cheaper if you don't care about iWeb, and iDVD.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm going to need iDVD, or another DVD authoring software that's inexpensive.

One thing I'm concerned about is upgrades. If I buy the box set, when the next version comes out, I'll have to for sure pay for that. But through the app store, I'm guessing (hoping?) that it'll just update the app. I can get iLife cheaper from 3rd party sources instead of going through Apple, such as eBay. I think I saw it on there for $35 free shipping.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'm not familiar with any other good, cheap, DVD authoring software, so finding a deal on an iLife box might be your best bet.

jW