Should I buy iMac 2012 or wait for the Retina iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chocolateschips, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. chocolateschips macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2012
    I'm torn between buying the 2012 iMac that would likely released in October and waiting for the 2013 (or the Retina) iMac.
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
  3. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2012
    Imola (BO) - Italy
    Buy iMac 2012, then start saving to buy iMac 2015 or 2016 : I'm pretty sure it'll have a much better screen than a lousy old retina ...

  4. iMcLovin macrumors 68000


    Feb 11, 2009
    It's a bit premature to start waiting for the next-next iMac. You don't even know if/when/what it will be. I suggest you buy the coming iMac if you need and want one
  5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030


    Feb 6, 2011
    Where did OP get the idea that 2013, or the next of next-gen iMac will get a Retina resolution?
  6. Lancer macrumors 68020


    Jul 22, 2002
    While it's tempting to hold off and get the shinny new 2013 iMac, we still haven't seen the 2012 one so it could be mid to late 2013 before the next-next iMac comes along.

    I'm still planing on getting the Ivy Bridge update, hopefully in a few months or sooner. I like the current design and the built in DVD, yes I might not use it as much as a few years ago but it's good it's there. Also I'd be weary about a new untested model, get the current design that they've ironed out the bugs in.

    Bring on the 2012 iMac!
  7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030


    Feb 6, 2011
    Speaking of DVD. Sony just claimed to close its computer ODD division a.k.a Sony Optiarc .. which used in all iMac today.

    Well this might not means anything since Apple could go with different vendors. But yeah, like it or not, the rounded disc media is on the brink of extinction.

    With that said, I still prefer the physical media of software/content distribution. Maybe a cheap and non-rewritable thumb-drive could be a good alternative although I also can't see the future going that route.
  8. chocolateschips thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2012
    Thank You!

    Thank you for all the reply. Even though I'm still undecided whether to buy 2012 iMac or the 2013 iMac, I'm very much pleased for all the advices. It's true that I don't even know what 2012 iMac will bring moreover what 2013 iMac entitled, but I don't want to feel "cheated" when I buy the 2012 iMac and then 6 months later come out cooler iMac. I'm all for waiting if it means that in the next 6 or 9 months Apple will introduced the Retina iMac :)

    P.S. Does anyone here have any advices whether I should buy the 21.5" or the 27" iMac. I'm a first-year medical student.

    Many many thanks!
  9. comatory macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2012
    Don't worry, if there will be new iMac it will probably take more than 6 months to come out, more like a year or so.

    21.5 vs 27? Depends on what you need. Both models have 4-core processors with options to go hi-end with i7 - so if you do some really intensive stuff (like video encoding that you really need to be fast), you can do it, for day-to-day activities, the base model is OK.
    As for size, it depends on how much space and screen estate you need/want. If money is no issue, I'd go with 27" just because you can fit more stuff on the screen (plus it's great for watching movies).
    If you're tight on cash, just get a base 21.5 and as the time goes you can get another display and connect it to the iMac to have more screen estate.

    Go to your nearest Apple store and check them out and see which one you like more.
  10. Roller macrumors 68020

    Jun 25, 2003
    No matter what you buy, there will be something "better" within its usable lifespan, whether it's six months, a year, or even a couple of years later. None of us know whether there'll be a 2012 iMac or a retina iMac in 2013, if ever.

    As a med student, you're going to find it difficult to manage without a computer. So what you do depends in part on what you have now. If you can afford to wait a bit, see what Apple does by the end of October. If there's no iMac by then, I doubt if there'll be on until 2013. You also may consider a laptop, which you can take to lectures.
  11. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2011
    Essex, england
    who said the 2013 iMacs will be retina? :rolleyes: :D
  12. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

    Nov 23, 2010
    who said they wont?
  13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2011
    Essex, england
    Who said they will? :D
  14. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

    Nov 23, 2010
    macbook pro? :)

    iphone has been saying that since 2010
  15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    I doubt that we'll have 'retina' 27" displays from Apple for at least another year, and then they will probably be pretty expensive.

    Apple's first 22" LCD cinema display was $4000. The first 30" cinema display was $3299. If Apple does release a stand alone 27" Retina Display in the next year or two I would expect it to probably be $2000+, and that's just for the display.

    That is unless they go with a lower DPI than the rest of their retina displays, something like 4K resolution (3840x2160) and call it Retina because of the 'normal' viewing distance. That would make the standard resolution mode on the 27" model have the same proportions as a 1080p display.
  16. chocolateschips thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 25, 2012
    I have a 13" MacBook Pro right now, but I have been dying to own an iMac since last year. Maybe I should just buy the next released 27" iMac and hope the next- next update for iMac doesn't come for at least another year ;)
  17. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    I have to think that whenever the Retina iMac is released, it will follow the same model as the MBP - there will be at least a year where it's a parallel offering for a lot more money. If money were no object to you, you would buy a 2012 iMac when it's available AND you would buy a Retina iMac when that's available, and you wouldn't be asking the question. So.. I think it will be no earlier than 2014 before you can buy a Retina iMac at today's prices, by which time you might be ready to upgrade your new 2012 anyway.

Share This Page