Should I buy ipad 2 now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ios8, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ios8, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

ios8 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

This is my first post, i'm interest in getting in ipad. Currently i own a mbp 17", windows notebook 11.6" and iphone 4. I work in IT area. I am undecided between getting an ipad 2 now or wait when ipad 3 comes out even rumors say it will come end of 2011 or beginning of 2012. So i do not need macbook air since i have 11.6" notebook to do the job, but ipad is more portable for browsing, reading books and emails where i spend 95% of my work on them. Also on my iphone i have mocha vnc, system admin where sometimes it crashes, does it happen to ipad too for all users that has these apps on ipad? Basically I need help on deciding if I drop my precious $$ on it now or wait.

Thank you all.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

simple: wait ...
    As you gave enough gadgets like iPhone 4 you don't miss anything.

Or do it like me: got the iPad 2 in May and start saving for iPad 3 ... they will be two different animals

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Exactly. Buy both of em. When u save your money to buy something expensive, it doesn't count as splurging or waisting money.

Plus if upkeep your iPad 2 in good shape, it's an easy sale. Now u only have to pay the difference.

4. ios8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your opinions. Originally i was going for macbook air but since i have 11.6" notebook already, i will decide on ipad 2. Any of you use the ipad for doing IT work?what apps do you use of ipad?

Thanks again,
    J

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Citrix Receiver
    iThougts HD (a mind mapper; for notes taking)
    Kindle
    GoodsReader
    Of course mail and browser
    some few time Numbers and KeyNote

Language learning apps
    X-Plane

6. ios8 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

These guys are pretty good at predicting the refresh cycle on Apple products.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

So I agree with the Buyers Guide, buy now.

8. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I really doubt the iPad 3 will be out before next spring. I say get the iPad 2 if you aren't prepared to spend 9 months of waiting and wanting, cursing yourself every month for not buying it back in June because of the possibility of a refresh.

9. ios8 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, i should not waste time waiting while i will be able to use it sooner. Just wondering how many people use the ipad for System administration and what kind of apps they use it for windows administration since i would like to set aside the windows notebook due to weight.

10. Stefx73 macrumors regular

No, no, no, wait for the Apple X + 1, where X is whatever current version.
    This way, you're always on the lookout for something better...not like the suckers who bought the current version and are enjoying the product now.

Imagine all the money you'll save!

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Those of you are keep saying wait for ipad 3 or 4 or 5. Look... iPad has very high resale value as long as you keep them with good condition.

I was able to sell my ipad for 399 dollars before the new one came out. That's about 100 dollars loss and I used it for almost 10 months. That's about 10 dollars a month. I don't think that's too much money. Cut your starbucks spending and save for an ipad. Problem solved. iPad 3 isn't due for another 8-9 months. That's a long wait.

12. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I preferred my iPad 1 over my iPad 2. The 2 is a bit of a dud.

Apple got cheap and it leaks light, it's got a bunch of small issues here and there, and overall it's just not up to what Apple is known for.

Wait and get an iPad 3, you will be so glad you did.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

buy now, well worth it

I use LogMeIn Ignition to remote in to my work pc. This gives me access to our network and servers as needed.

14. ios8 thread starter macrumors newbie

ipad 2 it is, then when ipad 3 comes out i can sell the 2. Anybody know any apps that i can get free ebooks?

15. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I'd just get it now. No point in waiting and waiting, enjoy it now!

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would buy now. It only came out a lil over 3 months ago. :)

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I highly doubt iPad 3 will release this year. Buy iPad 2 now and when iPad 3 is released, sell 2 and get 3. You'll only pay the difference.

18. ynblood macrumors member

Love my ipad 2. Take it to work everyday for notes. Can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

19. tombubi macrumors regular

iPad two just came out a few months ago, so I dont think it will be wise for Apple to launch a new one soon. plus there are no major issues with iPad2.

20. ios8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Traffic gods, i'll keep that in mind when i have mine =) Thanks.