Should i Buy iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tmiddleton, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tmiddleton macrumors newbie

hey guys, i have recently been looking into the ipad 2.

im really keen to get one, but iv been reading and seen that the new ipad 3 might come out this year..

should i wait for the ipad 3? or should i just buy a iPad 2?

thanks

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Highly unlikely iPad 3 will come out this year, go ahead and get the iPad 2.

4. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Just get an iPad 2. There will always be a model coming up, so if you wait for the iPad 3 then rumors about the iPad 4 will show up..

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get one now, use it and enjoy it now.

Who knows when apple will release the iPad 3, and so why deprive yourself of a great tool. If the 3 has features that you must have, then sell the iPad 2 and buy the 3.

6. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

If we say "wait" and nothing happens by the end of the year, what are you going to do?

Plan B?

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That would be really bad ... Until now March/April is the iPad month. If no refresh for Xmas I would wait until March. Now I didn't wait but start saving for iPad 3 while using iPad 2 and sold iPad 1.

8. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Buy one they are Great and the next version will not be released untill next year

They can not make enough Ipad 2's due to the high demand so there is a zero chance of a new one coming any time soon I bought mine on lanch day and I have no regrets or worries that a new one will be released this year.

9. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying an iPad 1, but the iPad 2 is really an awesome machine - if you buy it, I doubt you'll regret your purchase, even when the iPad 3 is released

10. taipan61 macrumors 6502

to enjoy life take big bites!:D
    IMHO you should go out an get one, if the newer one comes out, well then sell the current one you have and upgrade.
    if you spend your life waiting for the next "Best" thing, you'll be waiting while the rest of us are already playing.

11. Jimi1986 macrumors newbie

I only decided to buy an iPad 2 last Thursday. I took a trip to my local 3 store that night and picked mine up. Go for it. You won't regret it:)

12. GeneKam macrumors regular

Go for iPad 2, there won't be 3, trust me. I don't even know why anyone would believe that 3 would be out now. 3 would be out next spring. Apple runs on yearly refreshes. No iPad 2 + or other nonsense. I don't even know why people would thing that

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Why? I bought one without any hesitation and am completely happy.

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Hit the Search button on the forum and the answer should be found in the 10,000,000 exact same threads asked in the last week alone (Yes, I know it was asked on the 3rd)

15. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Did he really say "Keen to get one"? LMAO!

16. GeneKam macrumors regular

Hah, i guess my iPad 2 + from a few posts ago speculation on the main page news just showed up lol. That wont happen. The retina display upgrade to the current iPad 2 wont happen. There is very little insensitive for people to buy ipad 3 as the only thing it will have is speed, ram and camera upgrade. Thats not enough to awe many people so retina display upgrade is a huge plus. There are not many tablets that have spectacular resolution on the market at the moment so apple does not have the pressure to upgrade that. I am positive that there wont be a new ipad device until the usual spring 2012.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Apple are not bringing out both the iphone 5 and ipad 3 at the same time

ipad 3 won't be till next year sometime.

get the ipad 2, at the end of the day it's a great bit of kit it seems too many people are too concerned about getting a product just because it's new and you can show it off.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why? if you want a cheaper option then ipad 1 is the way to go. It still does plenty of the things the 2 does. I love the ipad 2 and it's new look but if i just wanted something to just for internet, e-mail and didn't have as much money the ipad 1 is a good option too.

19. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You obviously don't want it strongly enough, so the answer to your question is: Wait. If you really wanted or needed it, you wouldn't care if the next one will come out in October or in April.

20. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Go ahead and wait like all the people that waited for the white iphone 4 and see where that gets you.

21. MassacrMan macrumors member

When it comes to technology, especially in this day and time, you cannot really wait for things to come out. To an extent you can, but just for that one product. But, after you buy that product. Say, it's an iPhone 3GS. Well you fall in love with it and use it to death. But, then the iPhone 4 magically appears around the corner and suddenly your phone is a generation old. If you can afford it sure, keep up to date and just buy the newest thing that is out. But, eventually you gotta put your foot down and just stick with what you have. You can always upgrade in a year or two.

TL;DR?

Buy it, enjoy it, love it.

22. davedee65 macrumors regular

davedee65

Hey OP I've been debating the same issue for a few weeks now ever since the rumors of an iPad3 started flying around. I've now realised that I've wasted all that time when I should have bought the iPad2 in the beginning. As has been stated if you wait for the next best thing to arrive then when it does you'll end up waiting for the next best thing to arrive!

If you want an iPad go for it and get the 2 now. I'm off to buy mine at the weekend!:)

D

23. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I went to BB yesterday intent on buying one (iPad2) but after playing with it for a while I was put off by the screen. I guess having an iPhone 4 can do that too you. It just looked low res and I knew i'd be disappointed if the next version has in fact a better display so I walked away. An iPad isn't a necessity to anyone, it's a luxury item. So no one really NEEDS one, they are just fun to have. If you have the money to spend then go for it. I hate waiting on new products esp when you have no idea when they'll come out. If it were a phone or a PC (necessity) i'd have purchased it but I'm waiting on the next gen since it's merely something to play with.

24. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Such a subjective statement on so many levels. iPad users, 1 & 2, I'm sure you'd think too. My 4-year old laptop is rejoicing now that it doesn't have to run all day & night! This purchase breathed new life into it! Plus, the productivity apps for students for iPad is worth the purchase alone in my book. I'm not looking to buy a new laptop any time soon, so $350 on an iPad 1 was perfect for me.

To the OP, if your only hesitation is fear of the iPad 3 coming this year, fear not. The resale value of the iPad 2 will hold like many iDevices, and i and many others just don't believe an iPad 3 mere months after the iPad 2 will be coming until next year. Go ahead and make the purchase!

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Especially if you don't care about having the cameras and don't need the faster chipspeed in a newer model. I use my iPad 1 so much now, primarily for content consumption, not creation, although I also do take notes, work up the odd spreadsheet or play a game now and then. But I mostly read books on it, watch movies, use websites, run a few productivity apps and then stuff like How to Cook Everything, some reference tools like World Factbook, a bird identification program, moon phase programs, Mac Tracker... I never even set up mail on mine, I use the iPhone for that. The iPad 1 is just really a big, wonderful information and entertainment server, the way I use it.

If I moved someplace that had high speed broadband (I've given up thinking it will ever come to the boondocks), then I'd probably get a later model of iPad as improvements come along in display and handling of higher density movies. Meanwhile, I'm content with iPad 1. In fact if I didn't have one yet, I might still hunt down an iPad 1 instead of a newer one. For the money, and not needing the cams.