Should I buy iPhone 5c/iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckyvictor, Sep 10, 2014.

1. luckyvictor macrumors newbie

Hi All

I am an android user and have never used iphone before, and I am thinking to get my first iphone.

After I have seen the iphone 6/6 plus, I don think I can go for it, simply because it is too expensive, so I may consider iphone 5s.

But I also want to know whether it may be good to buy a iphone 5c/iphone 5 now, as I am not a huge gamer and I really don't need the fancy new features (I don't think I will ever have chance to use the TouchID...). My only concern is since iphone 5c/iphone 5 has A6 which is NOT 64-bit, so how long can they still last?

Many thanks for joining the discussion!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I can recommend the 5c. Lovely phone, especially for basic needs.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Get the 5s.

Yes, the processor is much improved. Also, what makes you say you won't have the chance to use TouchID? You will use it every single time you unlock your phone, which you must do to use your phone. It may not seem like much, but it is so much simpler and quicker than swiping to unlock (whether you have a passcode or not).

I'd at least go for the 5s for some future-proofing.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 5S is still a great phone. If that's within your budget, I would have no problem buying that today.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is a good phone and a great way for the OP to try something new.

6. luckyvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

I think and i hope to use the old way to unlock the phone, coz it is more than enough. I just dunno if i buy 5c/5, then how many ios update it may receive in the future, as their processors are not 64 bit:(

----------

I may wait a bit and see is there any more deals on iphone 5s

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The 5/5c will get iOS 8, but I'm not sure about iOS 9. The 5 will be on it's second possible update after iOS 8 comes out (had iOS 6 and iOS 7). If they do get iOS 9 it will probably run as well as the iPhone 4 on iOS 7 (not that great).

That said, in 2014 the 5 and 5c are still great phones. My 5 is 17 months old and still runs well and does everything I want it to. It's not like if you were to buy a two year old android phone that would have already stopped receiving updates and be very limited. Apple takes care of their customers even after a device is no longer sold. Ask anyone who owns an iPhone 5 or iPad 3rd gen.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Unlocked iPhone 5S is $550 for a 32GB and iPhone 5C is $450 for a 32GB too, this according to the Apple site. I'd get the 5C if the extra $100 is too steep for a 5S. Forget the 5.

9. luckyvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what i am thinking, although budget is a bit tight, I may well spend the extra 100 to get 5s and should get at least last one more year, the money should worth it, right?

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Before you make that decision, see how the 5S will handle iOS8. Then go from there. Personally, the $100 is worth it.

11. luckyvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to persuade myself that 5/5c use the A6 and it is the last 32-bit processor, whereas 5s is the first 64-bit processor, and theoretically the future iOS will all be 64-bit, so in this case 5/5c may just drop out due to hardware limitation, but 5s may still have some life even though it may run slow~~~

Do you guys see a price drop of second hand iphone 5s in the market in near future??