Should I buy iphone now or wait for 3g to come out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lisadperkins, May 30, 2008.

  1. lisadperkins macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2008
    I am just having a fit to buy an iphone but heard a new one is coming out soon. I am soooo impatient though. Does anyone know what the new will do that the ones out now will not do? Should I wait? What will be different?
  2. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL, USA
  3. docal97 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 28, 2006
    dude it would be simply crazy to buy an iphone now when the consensus is that the new phone will be announced in a few days. Whether the new phone has significant upgrades such as 3g, gps, etc., it would still be getting the newest model for prob. the same cost as the 1g unit. Really a no brainer. If u buy now, u will be surely disappointed and have significant buyers remorse in about 10 days.
  4. mark34 macrumors 6502a

    May 18, 2006
    I was at Apple Store and heard several people trying to buy iPhones. They were told to order on line. I wanted to run over and say...are you nuts? do you live under a rock? dont buy one!!
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006
    If you really can't wait, go out and buy it but we better not see a post in 12 days saying, "I can't believe there's a new phone out!! Can I exchange mine?" :p

    There's VERY strong evidence that there will be a 3G* phone come June 9th. No one knows what other features will be included, there are rumors of a case redesign, second camera, GPS, higher capacity, etc. You'll have to decide if any of these features are worth waiting for. Most other things are easily done through software (including the app store), so even if you buy an iPhone now you can still get stuff like MMS if they do introduce it.

    *3G is AT&T's faster network, right now they're using EDGE. You might want to check (online, at AT&T's website) to see if your area has 3G so you can tell whether or not you'll benefit from 3G. If you don't have 3G and you buy a 3G phone, it automatically switches to EDGE.
  6. bacaramac macrumors 65816


    Dec 29, 2007
    Actually I was at the AT&T corporate store in my area and they had a few 8GB left. I picked one up just in case the new one sucks or is sold out, etc. I have 14 days to return it so that should cover the June 9th keynote.
  7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    Considering we'll probably know when the 3G iPhone comes out in less than 2 weeks, you'd be a fool to buy one of the present models now unless it was at a huge discount.
  8. lisadperkins thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2008
    No, I am not getting it at a discount. The store near me only has 2 left and she said they would probably not be getting anymore. I am just concerned that the new one will be almost impossible to find for months just as the 1st one was. Also, how many bugs and problems will it have at first? I live in Louisiana and 3G coverage is only offered in 3 cities, none of which are anywhere near me. I would never use the GPS either. Do we know for certain that the new one will be the same price or is this just what we expect? I can't see paying more than $500 for a phone just to say I have the newest version if by chance it will be more. I realize this may seem like a stupid question for everyone but I just want to make sure I really need the newest one before all of the older ones are gone.
  9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604


    Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    Buy one NOW! That way there will be at least one new v2 iPhone, 3G, 32GB, GPS, 3mp Camera, Black, with a Griffin case for me! :p
  10. joeconvert macrumors 6502

    Nov 18, 2003
  11. Knolly macrumors 6502a

    Jul 22, 2007

    If you don't need anything that is new with the new iPhone, you can buy a used old iPhone online for an absurd amount cheaper than a new one now after the next generation comes out.
  12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040


    Aug 11, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Yes....very hard and I have an iPhone! :D

    But, you must wait if you are deciding between a regular and 3G one

    Wait, Wait, Wait

    Will be worth it
  13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

    Oct 18, 2007
    You can't be that impatient as you've waited until just over a week before the original iPhone's end-of-life. Did your oversleep?
  14. stevehp macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2006
    It's not a house, it's a home.
    You will absolutely regret it if you buy one before June 9th...
  15. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006
    Highly unlikely that the new phone will be more expensive. It probably won't be too difficult to find because the initial rush for the 1st phone was a whole different thing.

    The new shouldn't have too many problems because it's the 2nd generation. Usually the 1 generation is the one with wierd bugs and glitches.

    If you have no need for 3G and GPS, then go ahead and buy the phone now. Like I said before, most other stuff can be added through software updates.
  16. iSaga macrumors regular

    May 25, 2008
    To each is own, I just bought a 16gb refurb a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I have no regrets whatsoever, altough I probaby would have waited for the new one if i couldn't get the refurb.
  17. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

    Hey Jude

    May 9, 2008
    This is exactly what I plan to do, except a 16gb. I don't really care about GPS (I am going to purchase TT 720) or video conferencing, so all I really want is 3G. However, I know that I love the desgn of 1v, and so far absolutely hate the looks of the 2v from the allegedly leaked photos, so I will just hedge my bet, and pick up a phone just in case:).

    In response to OP: do what bacaramac has done, and what I plan to do, and purchase the phone, don't unwrap it so that you can return it without restocking fee if the new model has features that you simply cannot live w/o.

  18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I would wait and see what is announced at the WWDC.
  19. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2007
    New York
    omg...are you kidding with this thread? deal with the wait. you'd be crazy to buy one now.
  20. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Nov 15, 2007
    I would buy a 16gb now because I don't have 3g in my area and don't really need gps or anything, but I am banking on the 16gb dropping to $400 or AT&T having a subsidy, even though that is just rumour. But now that WWDC is SO CLOSE, might as well wait....I really don't think the 16gb will still be $500 either.

    I mean, its only 10 days including today.
  21. newyorksole macrumors 68040

    Apr 2, 2008
    New York.
    the wait isn't that long... just hold off until June 9th..
  22. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

    May 31, 2008

    Wait. See what the new one looks like and the price. If all they add is 3g to it and you dont live in a 3g coverage area then get a 1st gen for cheap. now if they make a big upgrade to the camera from like 2mp to 5mp then it may be worth it. bit i have a 16gb and it is the best thing since indoor plumbing.

Share This Page